Renaming internal note links when renaming note?

Hi, new user here. I'm enjoying Joplin a lot, but there is one thing I was wondering about. Is there a way to automatically update internal note link names when you rename the actual note they link to? I wasn't able to find any setting/plugin for something like this.

For example, if I have a note called "Note A" and I link to to, then the link title will be "Note A". But when I change the note name to "Note B" then the link title remains "Note A".

Thanks,
LRF

Version 1.8.5 on Windows 10.

2 Likes

Nope, there isn't. This is not a wiki which keeps track of links in a separate table.

However, there might be a way, but I need to think about it.

1 Like

A plugin could do this by scanning the notes at regular intervals.

Yep, I wanted to keep that on the down-low until I figure out how to do this:

There are a few options:

• click a button, fix the titles in the current note
  • check the current note (as soon as you switch to it) and fix the titles
  • create a plugin for the backlinks plugin, which then goes to all the source notes and fixes them

I was thinking about implementing the first item on the weekend. I'm not too keen on running a timer and fix all notes. I'd rather have the possibility to trigger a function when switching to a note. But as a first step a manual button/menuitem should do.

3 Likes

After they're all in sync, perhaps manually, then just a trigger on name change would be simplest?

I don't think there's currently a hook we can use.

Other than that, the solution you just suggested is the most complex one, because you have to backtrack from where a note is linked. Then you have to fix all those notes.
This might be better suited for the Backlinks plugin.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.