Quick tip - back up your Joplin notes

I love Joplin. I am a long time EN user (name omitted to protect the guilty). I actually bought and paid for updates of the EN app before it was free and turned cloud based. After it became a lot more than what I needed I was glad to find Joplin. Good work guys!

I WAS using a file based sync and it gave me trouble. So I switched to OneDrive. It works fine. I am always nervous about losing stuff so I decided to also keep a backup of my Joplin profile.

I’m on Windows 10 and use Joplin Portable. This simplifies it as it puts the profile right under the executable.

What I did was just turned Joplin OFF. Then used 7Zip to create a encrypted 7z archive of the entire Joplin folder. I also plop that 7z file in my Google Drive and save a few versions. It saved my bacon when I got the dreaded ‘Fail Safe’ error when my file system sync went haywire.

1 Like

@Rootman

Personal preference for backup is the Joplin Export File (File > Export > JEX - Joplin Export File).

This exports all notes and db records from your database as md files as well as exporting all of your resources / attachments and then wraps it all up in a tar file (renamed as jex). Also a recent change is that this file is automatically named with the current date. Note that if you want the filename to be in the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD), and so sortable by filename, you have to have this format selected in Joplin’s settings (Tools > Options > General > Date format).

3 Likes