Plugin: Conflict Resolution

In that case there's no conflict and the version with the latest timestamp will be kept.

Yes! I was totally mistaken.

What I'd like to do is to select a set of notes and to find the most similar ones. Let say something similar to more than 90% of words are identical would probably do the job. In my own case, it would lead to about 4000 notes that are "almost the same".

For example I have very similar notes that are like this:

The small difference is an additional line that copies the title of the other note. This will probably be difficult for a plugin to solve my problems. I mean make it very efficient to solve my problems. In fact, with 4000 notes like that and about 10 seconds by notes I could solve this manually in less than a week but with the risk of not seeing possibly small difference. What would be needed is a merge that keep identical parts and include unique parts "automatically" or almost automatically (in one click). I donĀ“t know if this is a common case and an accepted solution. Maybe.

1 Like

Does that imply that currently, Joplin has no way to resolve conflicts, even in a primitive way?
I had something written in a note on my computer for some time.
I opened briefly Joplin on my phone to paste a reference, in the same note (not at the same place).
Later, I opened the note on my computer, it synchronized, and I lost the first part, the whole note was replaced by the version on the phone, which wasn't synchronized, as it didn't have the time (I think).

Joplin doesn't try to merge the two versions? It just choose the latest one, disregarding any previous change? It is very dangerous for such decentralized software, I think. You can loose lot of text this way.
I suppose there is no way to recover the lost part.

Anyway, I will install this plugin right away!

[EDIT 1] I just stumble upon this page: What is a conflict? | Joplin (looking where the mentioned "Joplin's Plugin Repository" might be hidden), and I don't seem to have a "Conflict notebook"ā€¦ What do I miss?
[EDIT 2] Well, I don't see this repository mentioned in the documentation eitherā€¦

1 Like

When a conflict occurs, Joplin first copies the current
local note to a new Conflicts folder. Then it replaces the local note with the latest from the server.

It doesn't automerge. You have to merge manually. The plugin simply helps you out by showing a diff window.

The conflicts folder should appear on your PC colored Red.

As said (in my edits you might have missed when answering), I don't have such notebook. I guess Joplin missed the conflict, somehow. It wasn't very important this time, but it is annoying, it is not the first time I loose some text.
And I don't see in the Joplin documentation how to install a plugin (I saw how to make one, which is interesting for me, but not for the average userā€¦). Did I miss something?

[EDIT] OK, I found it hidden in the Optionsā€¦ I was searching if the conflict management is under an option too.

When I right click and select Conflict Resolution, I get a "Not Found" error window. I installed through the Options, Plugins menu.

1 Like

I'm using Joplin 2.11.11 on Windows 7. I have a conflict, so I installed the Conflict Resolution plugin, version v1.2.3 When I open the Conflicts folder and right click the folder with the conflict, I do not see a button labeled "Resolve Conflict". I've tried exiting Joplin and restarting it, still no "Resolve Conflict" button.

Thanks.

I am finding the same error, did you manage to solve it?

Same here.
Is there a fix maybe?

Using Joplin Desktop Snap v2.13.13 on Kubuntu 22.04 and synch with an internal Joplin server.

Update
According to https://github.com/joplin/plugin-conflict-resolution/releases, the last update was made in 2021.
Has this project been abandoned maybe?

1 Like