Please support Zotero/Bibtex

This is a duplication of

As stated there--please support bibtex! It would be a great way to use Joplin, which I like slightly more than other options, but I need citations in order to use Joplin. Zettlr is one option that does, and it's open source so perhaps the code could be ported?

13 Likes

I agree it is an extremely useful function (at least for Academics & research people) that is lacking in Joplin (which is my daily notes taking app).

Some examples of how it is implemented in other softwares I use :

• R markdown : via Pandoc (explanation here)
  • Atom : package zotero-picker. The same solution than Rmarkdown + a very handy toolbar to search for the right citation.

I hope to see this feature one day in Joplin !

7 Likes

It is very well implemented in Zettlr, which is another place to look for for code.

5 Likes

Hey, I would also highly appreciate this feature. Making resources editable might come in handy with that.

Edit: sorry, I guess I was wrong about MarkdownPP

The code couldn’t be directly ported due to license differences. Joplin’s MIT license is more permissible and flexible while Zettlr is under GPL. If Joplin used that code, it would be in violation of Zettlr’s license due to same license requirement of GPL and Joplin going under GPL would be a bad thing for its current goals. GPL forces all projects built from a GPL project to be under the same license with major difficulties in changing to anything else and Joplin is much about freedom to choose how to use the app while also being as secure as can be.

I also stand corrected, Joplin apparently could be dual licensed with GPL but it still wouldn’t be good for the reasons I’ve listed above.

2 Likes

How about implementing reference managing within the limits of MIT licence?

2 Likes

Hi all, I have no knowledge or advice regarding implementation but wanted to share my enthusiasm for a bibliography integration feature! (ideally Zotero).

1 Like

Even simple bibtex-markdown with the database in the metadata section of the markdown file would be good. Even better would be having a designated synchronised bibtex file that is passed to the markdown renderer. I’d leave “reference management” to external tools with access to that file.

Please support the Zotero integration!

As an academic writer using Windows, I have been debating with myself seriously whether to switch to Zettlr. I like many things Joplin has but Zettlr still hasn't implemented, such as HTML5 code embedding, web clipper, TOC for a single page. But Zotero integration is the single killer feature zettlr has but Joplin does not have. Zettlr is also capable of folding contents within a certain level of headers. The only issue preventing me from doing so is that the line separators in the Joplin export are parsed by Zettlr as YAML, which probably can be fixed by a short script.

I notice the request for zotero support has been raised a few times but I don't see a timeline/roadmap. So please, this is really useful to have.

4 Likes

I agree that hooking into zotero would make joplin, already great, even better! I think Atom does it pretty well (with the zotero-picker plugin).

1 Like

There's an issue with plugin spec on GitHub, so it should be linked here:

I'm also going to link to it in the top post.

4 Likes

But the Atom editor does not render the citation (generate bibliography). Zettlr is the free solution I found integrates with Zotero the best so far. But the new 1.8.0 release has a bug in the Vim mode, which is low on the priority list (truly a bummer), the older 1.7.5 has a bug in YAML parsing. I am now trying Vim, which has zotcite.

1 Like

This will be cool.

1 Like

I'm just trying now this :https://www.reddit.com/r/joplinapp/comments/m3qihl/tips_for_managing_references/gqy8d58/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

It uses " Zotero mdnotes, and the joplin plugin Hotfolder,"...

Zotero mdnote needs plugin better bibtex. Here are some links to speed up things:
BetterBibtex

zotero-mdnotes

This is quite smart! You can export bibliographic entry and you get the zotero link inside it. You can also export annotations, you get the zotero pdf link that open the pdf where citations were made!!

One problem is when an annotation is updated, it would lead to a duplicate note in joplin.
Another limitation is that export markdown note is manually done.

I miss how I can configure a second folder with the hotfolder plugin.

Increase the Numer of Hotfolders in the first Hotfolder, after a Joplin restart you will see additionals hotfolder options.
grafik
grafik

2 Likes

Yep, i use it too :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @JackGruber! I've seen the Hotfolder2! Smart way too!

With the work flow zotero+betterbibtex+mdnotes+hotfolder, I found that this could be used in order to link annotations in pdf in joplin!!

Yet, the limitation is that notes may lead to duplicated notes.

It seems that they are several javascript api for zotero. maybe someone can bouild a smarter plugin that avoid the duplicate problem

2 Likes