Note storage location - Android

I’d like to be able to store Joplin notes in my Android phone’s SD card. Is this currently possible?

android allow you to move data of app to a sd card (in the details of the application, from applications menu list)
did you try that ?

That was just about the first place I looked.

Thanks for the help.

Damned

When you press “Storage” some apps provide an option to change to SD card, but Joplin dioesn’t.

I’d like to know the developer’s reasoning behind that decision.

@laurent could soon

it’s one line in the manifest. If it’s ok with @laurent I can create a PR.

I would take a PR for it. We just need to keep in mind that it’s less secure to put the data into the external storage because someone can eject the SD card and read its content in any computer. Personally I wouldn’t put my personal data there, but I don’t mind if the application allows it.

Can’t files on a SD card can be encrypted?

As far as I know there's no Android option to encrypt the external storage.

I thought there’s an option to encrypt the external SD card. I think to remember I had that option on my S3.

Anyway, here’s the API description:

When your application is installed on the external storage:

• There is no effect on the application performance so long as the external storage is mounted on the device.
  • The .apk file is saved on the external storage, but all private user data, databases, optimized .dex files, and extracted native code are saved on the internal device memory.
  • The unique container in which your application is stored is encrypted with a randomly generated key that can be decrypted only by the device that originally installed it. Thus, an application installed on an SD card works for only one device.
  • The user can move your application to the internal storage through the system settings.

Therefore I do not think the app will be less secure by allowing to install the app on an external card.

I’ll create a PR.

Maybe I misunderstood, but is there a distinction between storing the app on SD, or its data?
The quote from the API describes storing the app on SD.

Yes, there is. If one wanted to put the app data on the SD card, it would have to be explicitly implemented in the app.

This feature is now part of the latest release thanks to @tessus.

Allowing the app to use the SD card as storage will be very useful. Many devices have limited main memory and this will allow users to keep that more of that precious space free.

@ebonair my change only allows the app itself to be moved to the SD card. It does not move the data!

This would be a much larger change…

I see that now. Does moving the app to card storage break anything, for example reminders? I am just recently starting with Joplin, coming from Evernote and so far I really like it. It would be handy if you could specify the storage location for the data. I only had a few notes in Evernote with larger attached files so it does not affect me much at this point. Does Joplin on Android have any size limitation for resources?

Can anyone tell me the default path where Joplin files are stored locally in Android?

I found /Android/data/net.cozic.joplin/ but it just contains 2 empty folders.