Note storage location - Android

Should be in /data/something - folders that are not accessible without root.

1 Like

I don’t think these folders are being deleted when the joplin program is uninstalled. After uninstalling and reinstalling and trying to do a file sync via syncthing joplin continues to look for .md files that don’t exist as far as I can tell. If they are only visible via rooted device how do I make sure they are gone?

There’s a difference between the local storage (which is used by Joplin internally) and the sync target.
When you delete the app, everything but the sync target should be gone.

My problem is on the Android version.

Do you have any experience with Syncthing? Is there a specific order that Joplin should be installed on Android for file syncing? Should I create the sync directory first in Joplin and then set up syncthing to sync the directory? Should I create the sync directory in Joplin before I setup syncthing? What absolute path should I use?

Thanks for your help.

One problem is there is no indication that I have the absolute path of the sync directory correct. The sync button just returns with no indication of status.

Added:
This is probably an android issue but I’m going to ask anyway. The only way I’ve figured out how to create a folder at /storage/emulated/0/sync is to let joplin create it by specifying the path and then creating a note, then deleting. Then I sync the directory with syncthing to bring over all the sync files.

The problem is, joplin won’t sync (load) the files once there over. I don’t know if it’s a date thing or what. Isn’t there a command I can send that says reload everything in the sync directory?

Also, it’s important to set the permissions in Joplin after installing it because just clicking the sync button doesn’t tell you they need to be set before trying to save a note.

If not, what do I need to delete to get the android joplin to load all the notes?

Thanks.

Yep, this is why I said:

When you delete the app, everything but the sync target should be gone.

For all other platforms (except mobile) the local storage is not deleted.

I don't, but some people in this forum use syncthing, so the chances are good that someone is able to help you.

Yes, I believe this is mentioned in the doc and/or FAQ. react-native apps do not ask for permissions when needed. They have to be set explicitly.

I got it working. What I had to do:

1. Uninstall Joplin
  2. Reinstall Joplin
  3. Enable all requested permissions for Joplin
  4. Set Joplin to use the directory /storage/emulated/0/sync
  5. Save setup
  6. Create a note
  7. Uninstall Joplin
  8. Using the X-Plore browser, find the sync directory which shows as “/sdcard/sync”
  9. Reinstall Joplin
  10. Enable all requested permissions for Joplin
  11. Set Joplin sync directory to /sdcard/sync
  12. Everything works

Issues I have run into:

1. In Joplin, if it can’t find the sync directory, Synchronize just returns, no error
  2. There is no way to browse from Joplin to find the correct path which means guessing
  3. I forgot to enable all the permissions on one of these cycles and when I had the correct directory I received a cryptic synchronize error for a couple of .md records that were not in the directory

Things that would make this much easier:

1. A browser to find the correct directory
  2. An error message when the permissions aren’t set correctly

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Sorry but I revived this topic because I was searching for the answer as well, and I finally got it that its data is stored in /data/data/net.cozic.joplin
The reason I want this is because I have a large size of notes to be synced to the target ( nearly 1G) , and I often flash my Android system and erase all my data. I think keeping this folder may help me avoid repeatedly downloading from the sync target.
@toridnyc