Note overview

Thank you for the answer. That's a good workaround for the problem. I was making changes in the creation date because I need to have task start dates... It's not very clean but until there is a possible improvement of tasks in Joplin or via a plugin I do it like this because I really need to have my (long) notes and tasks in the same place.
Thanks for the idea.

Hi @JackGruber

Me again :wink:
Do you think it would be possible to check the tasks as done in the tables generated by note overview? I noticed that the plugin Embed any search - with content! offers it ... but maybe there is a limitation?

1 Like

@bepolymathe No with my implementation this is not possible. Because I use static content.

1 Like

Ok thanks. What a shame. I would love to combine the two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

v1.5.3 (2021-10-09)

• Add: Option Update on Joplin sync to start the Noteoverview update after Joplin syncronisation
  • Improved: Start first Noteoverview update after the first Joplin syncronisation (Not as before after 5 minutes)

v1.5.4 (2021-10-09)

• Fix: Default value for Update on Joplin sync
2 Likes

I always wanted to have a card like view for when I click on a notebook in Joplin. Note-overview seemed a good tool for this. Using some css trick I managed to get this. It's not beautiful but it works. hopefully people find it helpful and useful and some one can make it more prettier .

The slight issue I have is that every time I update I have to add this <div class= "container">. Is there a way to add some text a single time instead of repeat it with every note?

added this to the top of my note:

<style>
.container {
  column-count: 3;
  column-gap: 0.5 rem;

}
.note {
	padding: 0.2rem;
	margin-top:5px;
	max-height:500px;
	overflow:hidden visible;
	float:left;
	font-size:13px;
	line-height: 1.2;
width: calc(100%/1);
border: 1px solid grey;
	 break-inside: avoid-column;
	 background:#006699;
}

.note h1 {
		color:#ffbf80;
	}

.note h1:after
{
    content:' ';
    display:block;
    border: 1px solid grey;
}

</style>

Note Overview script:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: notebook:"test"
fields: title,body
alias: updated_time AS Last Updated, title AS Title
listview:
  text: "  <div class= \"note\">\r\n \r\n {{body}} \r\n </div>"
-->

This also works surprisingly well on mobile:

BEWARE that if you have a large number of notes this will use a lot of resource I tried doing it on some 300 notes and Joplin was using 70% CPU and 2GB of memory

7 Likes

Hi @JackGruber

I am building a rather complex note that includes several overview occurrences. I've noticed that if I create a structure like below before triggering the plugin for the first time, it deletes all the titles and subtitles.

# Pro

## Next

search: type:todo iscompleted:0 notebook:"2 - NEXT" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time, body, todo_due, tags
sort: created_time ASC
-->

## Waiting 

search: type:todo iscompleted:0 notebook:"3 - WAITING" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time, body, todo_due, tags
-->

## Someday / Maybe

search: type:todo iscompletetd:0 notebook:"5 - SOMEDAY / MAYBE" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time
-->

Is this normal? Can you reproduce this behavior?

@bepolymathe Bugs should be reported on GitHub.

Yes of course :wink:

In your screenshot i see a footer that i think shows the number of completed and uncompleted tasks in a note. If this is true, what plugin does that?

Are you referring to the part where there is completed? That is just showing the tags that are assigned to the note

Oh... Then I guess this is an idea for another plugin. :grin:

1 Like

Hi @JackGruber

Is there a way to put text in a note that would not be rendered by the "body" field in the table?
I don't want to use "excerpt" because it removes the clickable links from the table. :thinking:
What’s your opinion ?

Thanks for sharing! This is pretty great. However I can't see titles (or are they not note titles but instead the h1 titles inside the note?) or the tags like you do so I changed the script like this:

search: notebook:"test"
fields: title,body
listview:
  text: "<div class= \"note\">  \r\r # {{title}}\r \r {{body}} \r  </div>"
  prefix: <div class= "container">
  suffix: </div>
-->

Prefix and suffix does just that. Found it here.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Does it look like this?

Sorry I meant that when I copied all the code from this post I couldn't see the note titles but with the modified code above, I can see them :sweat_smile:

I'd like to make more use of transclusions in my notes, and this plugin seems the best way to facilitate them.

I'm missing 2 things though: can they be done? I have checked the docs, so unless I've missed something, they can't. In that case - can you maybe add them, pretty please?

First thing: can I somehow turn off MD generation? I'd like to have a note that would more or less be a concatenation of multiple other notes. It does not make sense to include them in the note body, though - they'd just clutter up search results needlessly, and it would do nothing.

Second thing - can I only include a specific section from a note?

Thanks for the great plugin!

Not sure what do you mean.

No

1 Like

Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. I meant that I'd like if no markdown was generated and saved in the note, the result would just be rendered in the view pane. (Some plugins, like Backlinks, can do things like that - not sure if it's in Note overview though.)

@zblesk No there is no option for this and there will not be. The notes should also work on systems without a plugin, so this was a intentional decision to not to use the dynamic approach of only a renderd output.

3 Likes