Note overview

Expanding on this, I can't keep a template with a preconfigured overview either.

Better late than never: Thank you very much for implementing the requested features. I'm very happy seeing you actually included all of them already... :clap:

The 'combining notes dynamically' feature came as a bonus, which allows me to start using Joplin to create, embed and easily export Anki notes too, so I like to double thank you for this version!! :grinning:

Hi,
nice to have

Hi,
by the way:
there is a simular working plugin: joplin-plugin-spoilers
Kai

I presume you mean that the spoiler plugin is similar to Anki? I agree with you in the sense it triggers a response from your memory, but Anki's most important function actually is spaced repetition: based on how well you remembered the note SRS schedules it for review in the future, therefore helping you to move it from your short term to your long term memory by means of the least amount of repetitions possible. To my knowledge Anki is the best open-source software for this.

By using @JackGruber's note overview plugin I can integrate my Anki notes and create+edit them from Joplin instead. An example workflow regarding this is to create notes containing the following:

ID | Question | Answer

When putting a table heading as a prefix in the note overview attributes a nice overview can be generated by the plugin, which can now combine the 'Anki'-notes into a single table. From there they can be imported in Anki to add new notes/cards and/or updated existing ones.. I had to play a little with the code, but this works for me:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: notebook:Anki
fields: body, title
sort: title ASC
details:
  open: true
  summary: All Anki notes
listview:
  text: "{{body}}"
  prefix: |-
    |ID|Prefix|Front|Back|Info|Tags|
    |---|---|---|---|---|---|
-->

For the ones unfamiliar with SRS: I create individual notes for all pieces of knowledge I like to remember/not forget. I use Joplin to store & manage them, which basically means linking them together. SRS/Anki helps me to review those notes at the right interval. When Anki makes me realise a certain note is fading it will be scheduled for review more often plus I will go back to Joplin and read its connected notes and try making new connections too, either by creating new notes or by linking existing ones I discover when searching for related notes.

I do see the spoiler plugin helps you 'to cover the answer', but you will have to come back to those notes at certain intervals in order not to forget the memorized knowledge in the future. People using the spoilers might be interested in 20 rules of formulating knowledge in learning where you will recognize them as (cloze) deletion: a highly effective way of learning indeed!

1 Like

Hi Edwin,

interesting aspect.

But, indeed, I mean that folding-feature of that plugin.
Yet I've not seen any reflection on Anki, or are we talking not about the same plugin ?

Very good links concerning tools for (long term) learning are:
here mentioned
Andyʼs working notes
and furthermore
How can we develop transformative tools for thought?
Quantum computing for the very curious
Kai

Hi

I am getting this error, not sure what the issue might be

Noteoverview error
Note: Overview_Todos

YAML parse error
Implicit map keys need to be followed by map values

fields: updated_time, title
sort: title DESC
type:todo iscompleted:0
fields: updated_time, title
sort: title DESC
type:todo iscompleted:0
-->

FAQ: Error: Implicit map keys need to be followed by map values

But your note-overview section is invalid, because no search is given

1 Like

Hi @JackGruber

I don't know if I'm wrong but I have the impression that the automatic update of my notes doesn't work at startup. I have to run overview by hand the first time for it to work. Can you confirm that this is the expected behavior ?

On the startup there is a time delay to finish the sync to avoid confilcts.
I would like to change the whole thing to the sync event done, so that the update runs faster after a start of Joplin, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

1 Like

Okay, thanks, that clears that up for me. :+1:

Hi @JackGruber

For some reasons, I need to change sometimes the creation date of a note (I actually use the creation date as "schuedle" or "start" date). I just realized that when I integrate this column in my overview table it is not updated if I had already generated the table once. Can you reproduce it?

@bepolymathe I think you mean the time of updated_time is not updated?
You must use the field user_updated_time, the field updated_time is only updatet on note changes.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. That's a good workaround for the problem. I was making changes in the creation date because I need to have task start dates... It's not very clean but until there is a possible improvement of tasks in Joplin or via a plugin I do it like this because I really need to have my (long) notes and tasks in the same place.
Thanks for the idea.

Hi @JackGruber

Me again :wink:
Do you think it would be possible to check the tasks as done in the tables generated by note overview? I noticed that the plugin Embed any search - with content! offers it ... but maybe there is a limitation?

1 Like

@bepolymathe No with my implementation this is not possible. Because I use static content.

1 Like

Ok thanks. What a shame. I would love to combine the two. :slight_smile:

1 Like

v1.5.3 (2021-10-09)

• Add: Option Update on Joplin sync to start the Noteoverview update after Joplin syncronisation
  • Improved: Start first Noteoverview update after the first Joplin syncronisation (Not as before after 5 minutes)

v1.5.4 (2021-10-09)

• Fix: Default value for Update on Joplin sync
2 Likes

I always wanted to have a card like view for when I click on a notebook in Joplin. Note-overview seemed a good tool for this. Using some css trick I managed to get this. It's not beautiful but it works. hopefully people find it helpful and useful and some one can make it more prettier .

The slight issue I have is that every time I update I have to add this <div class= "container">. Is there a way to add some text a single time instead of repeat it with every note?

added this to the top of my note:

<style>
.container {
  column-count: 3;
  column-gap: 0.5 rem;

}
.note {
	padding: 0.2rem;
	margin-top:5px;
	max-height:500px;
	overflow:hidden visible;
	float:left;
	font-size:13px;
	line-height: 1.2;
width: calc(100%/1);
border: 1px solid grey;
	 break-inside: avoid-column;
	 background:#006699;
}

.note h1 {
		color:#ffbf80;
	}

.note h1:after
{
    content:' ';
    display:block;
    border: 1px solid grey;
}

</style>

Note Overview script:

search: notebook:"test"
fields: title,body
alias: updated_time AS Last Updated, title AS Title
listview:
  text: "  <div class= \"note\">\r\n \r\n {{body}} \r\n </div>"
-->

This also works surprisingly well on mobile:

BEWARE that if you have a large number of notes this will use a lot of resource I tried doing it on some 300 notes and Joplin was using 70% CPU and 2GB of memory

7 Likes

Hi @JackGruber

I am building a rather complex note that includes several overview occurrences. I've noticed that if I create a structure like below before triggering the plugin for the first time, it deletes all the titles and subtitles.

# Pro

## Next

search: type:todo iscompleted:0 notebook:"2 - NEXT" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time, body, todo_due, tags
sort: created_time ASC
-->

## Waiting 

search: type:todo iscompleted:0 notebook:"3 - WAITING" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time, body, todo_due, tags
-->

## Someday / Maybe

search: type:todo iscompletetd:0 notebook:"5 - SOMEDAY / MAYBE" tag:pro
fields: title, created_time
-->

Is this normal? Can you reproduce this behavior?