New and questions

Joplin 2.3.5 on Linux Mint 20.x

Hello all,

I am just switching to Linux and find Joplin excellent.
However, I have a few questions:

1. I sync via Nextcloud, which works great.
    If I am at a foreign computer, I can log into my Nextcloud and access my Markdown files there.
    Unfortunately, this is very difficult because the saved filenames are saved in an unreadable format.
    So nothing can be found.
    Is there any way to have Joplin save the files under the name as seen in Joplin? It works with the export, after all.

2. i have several files with the same keyword (tag). If I search for everything, these notes are not found.
    Is it not possible to search by tags?

3. I must search in Files (PDF-OCR), is this possible?

Thank you very much, Lex

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forums.
To attempt to answer some of the questions:

1. The sync target files are not really designed to be accessed manually and please do not be tempted to modify them as they contain metadata required for the sync functionality to work.
    Ideally you just install another client at this foreign computer (you can use Joplin Portable if you want to put it on USB drive to avoid an actual client install). Otherwise there are some community made tools such as Joplin-Webviewer.
  2. Have a look at the search documentation you can add filters to the main search box (the ones above your note list/F6) such as tag: or you can use the goto anything (ctrl/cmd + p) and use a # before the tag you want to look for.
  3. I'll have to defer to somebody else, it can display PDFs inline but I'm not aware of it being able to do OCR searching

Thank you very much.
The search worked - great.

1 and 3: Those are the reasons why I decided against Joplin.
I need - like Evernote - access from any PC, even if it should be completely foreign.
I also miss the search in PDF files very much.
Thanks anyway and good luck furthermore

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.