Joplin's vscode plugin is released!

Also I am not sure this is the best way, this is just an experiment, a comparison of joplin integrated into vscode and joplin/vscode + git, and even I want to know whether joplin + vscode is really better than notion (it has recently optimized search The algorithm makes it faster, and the original basic paid plan is free, but the editing function is still a custom format-it seems to support some markdown features)

I'll test the plugin. Looks very interesting. I caught myself often to use VS keybindings in Joplin when writing markdown (e.g. alt+ Cursor up/down to move lines). :slight_smile:
Thanks for your work!

I suggest you to install the following plugin, I am sure this is the best markdown editing plugin in vscode

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yzhang.markdown-all-in-one

Thanks, got it already :slight_smile: This is absolutely the best plugin, I agree.

I've just tried again, but I keep getting this error message:

Joplin's token/port is set incorrectly, unable to access Joplin service!

Joplin: Joplin 1.0.224 (prod, win32)

Clipper service: active
Token in VSC : Yes and even copied it
Restart of joplin & vsc done
Port number: match in both programs.

If I can provide anyother helpful information, please let me know :smiley:

Please try to execute the following command in CMD/Bash, if there is no problem, it should return JoplinClipperServer, otherwise you need File an issue with Joplin.

curl http://127.0.0.1:41184/ping
1 Like

Looks great! One issue, when I click a note on Linux it opens it in the default system editor instead of vscode.

This is very, very cool. Might I suggest, however, that you put just a little more of an explicit description of how to complete the setup? I was able to figure it out after some minutes, but I believe that you could make it much easier for people with some more detailed step-by-step instructions on a “Setup” section on the install page. Congratulations and thank you for building this! I love it!

This needs to set the system default markdown editor(Added to FAQ)

https://joplinapp.org/faq/#how-can-i-edit-my-note-in-an-external-text-editor

I’m not sure how to give a better hint. At present, I have thrown an error when I can’t connect to Joplin Server, and I have added a FAQ in the README…If you have a better idea, please Fork => PR (or modify the following file)

The clipper works just fine, it does work for my browsers. However this is what it returned:

curl: (7) Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 41184: Connection refused

Here you need to provide detailed information and then ask @laurent

ref: Web Clipper Not Syncing

Hi,
Liking the plugin. Great start.

However at this moment it’s not very convenient. And it’s easier to just use Joplin itself.
Biggest feature I am missing at this point is being able to navigate between notes via the links I’ve placed in them.
In other words: (ctrl) Clicking on a link pointing to another Joplin note, doesn’t currently navigate to that note.

If you could add this, I would be able to start using it over the Joplin app itself. Thanks for considering.

1 Like

I had this idea before, but due to some complexity issues that have not been added to the 0.1.* version, I have to consider how to implement it…

1 Like

HOLY COW This is amazing!

I’ve been a long-time user of VSCode as well and switched to taking notes in Markdown for quite a while. My workflow always involved using the ‘edit notes externally’ feature in Joplin, so this is a huge time saver!

One suggestion/request: It would be nice to use the Ctrl + P VSC functionality to quickly open notes from Joplin. That is, I frequently use Ctrl + P to open existing files in my workspace, it would be nice if this feature extended to search/open files from the Joplin app as well. I’m not sure if it’s possible since this feature seems to work based on file names, and all the note file names from joplin are obsfucated. If this feature couldn’t be used, then maybe another shortcut key that does something similar?

As you said, the file name of joplin is confused (id), so the functions related to the vsc file name currently have problems (searching by file name/viewing open file history, etc.). Of course, there is already a search button to search by file name, but I am not sure what shortcut key should be bound by default (I am a user who installed jetbrains idea keymap plug-in).
Perhaps the most prominent problem at the moment is the one mentioned above: Joplin's vscode plugin is released!. It’s really painful to automatically expand the directory when I can’t open the notes. This weekend I Will try to tackle it.

Has been implemented, please update 0.1.3

I just tried 0.1.3 using VSC version 1.47.2 and Joplin version 1.0.227
and sorry to say I do not see any difference in behaviour, when ctrl-clicking links to other notes, compared to the previous release.

Wait, are you referring to the links within the notes to other notes?Well, I would be wrong, I thought it was referring to the problem that the table of contents was not automatically expanded in the sidebar when clicking on the note...

I may want to take a look at the implementation of Joplin. Is this a separate npm package for joplin markdown preview? Or what? @laurent

For markdown preview we use markdown-it and a few plugins, plus some custom behaviour in MdToHtml class.