Joplin never recycles the log

Hi

it looks like Joplin never cleans up the log on Windows. It has been getitng bigger and bigger since. There is a log file under ~/.config\joplin-desktop called log.txt that is almost 200.000 lines. It seems like it has been logging into that file since I started using Joplin on this device.

is there a way to disable extensive logging? I am on my laptop generally and I would like to limit disk access and writes as much as possible.

thanks

There was a post a while back with a workaround using logrotate. This does not exist on Windows, so I’m not sure what the best workaround would be on Windows.

I think Laurent mentioned that a solution in Joplin would be great. However, I don’t think that log output is categorized in levels, so changing the log level is not possible. I don’t think a logging function is used either, so disabling the log is also out of the question.

There are a few ways I can imagine to solve this in Joplin:

• button to reset the log
  • automatically create a new log when the current log is bigger than X MB (default maybe 1 or 5MB)

The second item would require all logging calls to be replaced with a logging function. This is a huge change, thus I doubt this will happen any time soon.

1 Like

I think I will try to remember to empty the file every other month for now. Thanks for the info.

Normally I don't need a log. So an off switch would be nice.