Joplin needs to learn from Notepad?

How come Joplin doesn't know how to search in the current note? Assume you use Ctrl + F to search and jump to a specific match. When you close the search:

1. The editor loses focus
  2. The match is not highlighted anymore
  3. The page scrolls down for some stupid reason. So even if you had your eye on the match it's freaking gone!

This is hard for me to understand. How can something trivial like this not be implemented properly. Every other text editor in the world handles this right (including notepad). When a developer starts a new project, do they just improvise and never look at any other similar products? It that's the case, maybe it's better to join an art class instead...

Adding an update to this cause this post is getting some heat.

First of all, I don't see why joining an arts class is seen as an insult. I really hope you don't imply that devs are smarter than artists. Because that would explain why lots of open source projects look kinda ugly and have poor UX. If I were an designer I wouldnt want to contribute to a project where these things are considered low-class and get little attention.

What I meant to say is that creativity should be used elsewhere. Not on functionality that is already established and works the same way in every other application.

IMHO, cases like these almost always get rejected instantly or get the lowest priority possible. Devs want to work on cool new ideas, I get it. BUt things like that add upp making the application less attractive.

1 Like
  1. This makes sense, editor should probably be focused after closing the search
  2. I personally wouldn't want it to be highlighted, and I believe Joplin has the expected behaviour
  3. Sounds like you're experiencing a bug, this doesn't happen to me

Please limit these sorts of comments on the forum, pointing out bugs and usability issues (as you did at the start) is constructive, but language like this adds nothing.

13 Likes

Developers have spend hundreds of hours on Joplin. They and the community will be much more eager to help you if you don't start by insulting. If you would like to edit that out of your post, you can click the pencil icon a the bottom of the post.

Yo should also give the troubleshooting data like Joplin version, os, etc.

7 Likes

@joejoe needs to learn to be respectful
@joejoe needs to learn to be appreciative
@joejoe needs to learn to be less entitled

@joejoe need to learn how to code

4 Likes

@heviiguy please remember to be civil. This comment was also unnecessary.

1 Like

I tested my joplin app with ctrl + f on a long document and didn't experience a loss of focus, highlight, or a random page scroll. I think you have encountered a bug of some kind. If you give some info on your OS and joplin version someone here might be able to help you with that.

And for reference, comparing software devs to artists probably wasn't what people found insulting. The tone and wording of a lot of your post is presumptive and rude. You are essentially calling the devs of Joplin lazy / incompetent and calling many other open source projects ugly or uninspired.
Regardless of your intent, that's why this post wasn't received well.

5 Likes

Maybe it's the settings. I use Windows 10 with 125% custom scaling. Also, Joplin font setting is larger size.

Sure, the statement I wrote has an exaggerated tone. But laziness and incompetence is a bit of a stretch. Anyways... I think that reporting a problem is not enough these days. It's also necessary to specify why that is bad and why it should be fixed. How do you convince someone otherwise that something is important?

And as for open source projects. THat's just the fact. Many of them are ugly. Often even a decade behind in terms of UI/UX. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's cause designers are greedy and only want to work for money and developers are kind and willing to work for free. Maybe it's cause the devs think they are smarter than artists and others, so it's difficult for anyone else to contribute. Maybe it's a mixture of those things or maybe it's none of those. Still, the open source community is fragmented and it's hard to make a difference. Why are there millions and millions of forks? Does that imply that often it's easier to fork the project than to collaborate with its devs?

On Github you need to fork a project to submit a pull request to it (i.e collaborate with its devs).

4 Likes

You explain your use case. You give the exact steps to reproduce. And you make sure that the issue isn't specific to your device. You give all of your system specs. And you give your post a title that relates to your specific issue. (Your current title won't draw in people who could help with troubleshooting.)

You don't do it by insulting or giving your general opinions about open source projects. If you spent time in the community you would see how hard the devs and community work. If you find that in general devs don't like to work with you, then it may be a personal issue for you to work on.

This forum is also extremely friendly and involved, so your behaviour stuck out.

5 Likes

@whitewall What you said would just end up as a generic issue and would just get buried in hundred of others without getting any attention. It's like you didn't even read the question. You didn't address the question of "selling an idea" which was the whole point.

And before you throw around accusations like it's free candy, please be more specific next time, since I don't see where I insulted anyone. And I am not gonna address the other assumptions you made, since this thread should not be a place to attack someone personally.

I'd like to steer the conversation back to the raised issue. The point of the post with a stronger and more exaggerated tone was to provoke a discussion.

Version: Big Sur
Joplin v.: 1.7.11

can not duplicate your issue.

Heh. Replace "open source" with "closed source" in that statement and it would still be a true statement. There are a zillion open source projects who are well behind and yet many who are examples of UX elegance. And the same on the closed source side of the fence. The thing is, closed source applications with awful interfaces die off rapidly whereas similarly afflicted open source applications tend to linger. (Windows 10 is a prime exception to this: an awful interface (closed-source mind you) that lingers on and on.) On the technical front, open-source, in almost most all areas of application is the clear leader (open-source runs the world, now).

Anyway. Joplin has its quirks, for sure. But it becomes increasingly less quirky as time going on. The one you mentioned seems isolated to your configuration. Insulting the developers is not helpful. And you were being insulting, please stop trying to defend it. It's not that joining an art class is insulting (and you know folks didn't think it was) it was that you were indicating that the developers were in the wrong discipline and/or unprofessional in their approach to designing the application.

And trust me, being a user of this application for years now, they are probably MOST responsive to all the more obvious usability issues. Though some of those are far more difficult to implement than people realize and may or may not be something they prioritize different than one of the users.

4 Likes

I never implied that the developers were incompetent. The whole point of the comment was that if you want complete freedom to improvise you should join an art class.

Sure, the post is exaggerated on purpose to shame the developers a little bit. But it is definitely far from an insult. Of course, anyone can choose to see it as one, but that's not my problem.

The idea was to bring up some issues to attention and provoke a discussion. The issues might seem small but they're important. This is kind of like if someone was skilled enough to build a house by themselves but for some weird reason they made all the doors open in some unusual way, e.g. by turning the handle up and then pulling it towards you. The questionable part is why the heck would anyone do that? If their idea is not a significant improvement, why not look at all the other doors and just copy the design, since everyone is used to it

Getting past the insulting approach OP took in raising his/her issues, let's take a look at the substance.

1. Yes, I see that markdown editor does lose focus. I think that would be unexpected by most users. So I agree with OP that this is suboptimal.
  2. Yes, the match is no longer highlighted, but I think that is expected. Compare to Evernote, which also drops highlighting of matches after search is closed.
  3. I cannot replicate this autoscroll effect. Running Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32).
1 Like

This is not related to my machine. I took another Windows 10 machine and installed Joplin. Then I didn't modify anything. See what happens when you close the find (the highlight is lost and the page scrolls):

Edit. Using the latest version 1.7.10.

2 Likes

Evernote might be another outlier that's doing the wrong thing. The arguments for keeping the highlighting of the last match are:

• Ease. When you drop the highlighting, it means less visual information to go by. It's easier to see it when it's highlighted.
  • Speed. You can immediately start editing in the right position as soon as you close the search. If you use keyboard only, that'd be super fast..
  • Standard. Pretty much every text editor does it. Notepad, Word, LibreOffice Writer, VSCode etc.

See the comment where I posted a gif to illustrate

2 Likes

I agree with @joejoe on the search part. Testing this in other editors with highlight, such as Notepad2, the behavior is this:

• ENTER moves between the found items.
  • Each item is highlighted
  • when search closes (ESC), the current found item is still highlighted, and the cursor is placed after the highlighted text.

Notepad2 has a popup-search, so it's a little different. Joplin's search is similar to SublimeText3 . Again here, focus is kept when search is closed.

You can search both directions, and when search box is closed, F3 goes to next occurence of last search. (separate idea for Joplin)