Joplin Desktop pre-built packages for Debian/Ubuntu/ArchLinux

Hello, everyone!

If anyone wants to use a native version of Joplin Desktop on Debian/Ubuntu/ArchLinux (and derivatives), now there is an option, mostly thanks to the joplin-deb project by @CVan!

Although joplin-deb works really well, not everyone is willing to deal with docker images, scripts, etc. So after a few hours learning how to use GitLab CI/CD pipelines I was able to create a script that does everything automatically when a new version is released, so you just need to download and install the package.

For Debian/Ubuntu (and derivatives) I plan to publish the package to a repository (Gemfury is my first option so far). It should run on Debian 12 and up, as well as on Ubuntu 22.04 and up (tested on Ubuntu 23.04 only so far tho).

If you want to report any running or compatibility issues, please feel free to do so. Contributions, fixes and improvements are welcome as well.

Cheers

7 Likes

Oh, and if you want to move from Zoho Notebook to Joplin (and you are not afraid of using a command line tool/Python :sweat_smile:), you may want to check this too:

1 Like

Awesome! Nice job!

1 Like

What I like about this is it relies on the latest source so we can always be current. Too many alternative binaries I have seen tend to lag.

Checking it out now.

Update: Works fine under LMDE 6 (aka Debian 12).

1 Like

looks like it relies on 'docker', I don't have it installed, and my arch is ARM64... I looked through the script but never even attempted to run it. :wink:

Thank you for the feedback! If you find any problems related to running the app, please feel free to report it as well.

Actually it does not rely on Docker, only to build the packages, so the user only needs to install the downloaded file from the Releases page, like one would do normally with other packages:

And yeah, ARM64 build is not available (yet?) as I do not have a way to test it. But I will take a look at Distrobox, if I can run other ARM64 packages on it without problems, I will try to make an ARM64 build available too. Or at least I will need some beta testers while I can set it up! :wink:

1 Like

Hi, everyone!

Debian and Arch binaries for v2.12.19 are available in the Releases page.

If it worked or not for you, please add this info to your report:

• Joplin version (ex: Joplin deb v2.12.19)
  • Distro with version (ex: Ubuntu 23.10, ArchLinux rolling, etc)
  • Desktop Environment with version (ex: Gnome 45, etc)

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello, everyone!

Just a message to inform everyone that the latest 2.14.x version (v2.14.20 as of now) was released!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi, @LFdev

Thank you for providing the .deb file for installing Joplin. I've successfully installed it on my Ubuntu 22.04, and as you confirmed, it works very well. Although there is still a slight delay in opening, it is noticeably faster than when using the AppImage.

I understand that the AppImage is a convenient solution for universal compatibility across Linux distributions, but personally, I prefer using the .deb file when available.

Thanks again!

1 Like