Yesterday, I was quite shaken to notice that none of my resource links were working. Joplin reported the resource non-existant. I looked into the ~/.config/Joplin-Desktop folder and found that indeed, all but a few of my resource files were gone!
Fortunately, I was syncing my Joplin instance, and my backup (Samba Fileshare folder) was unneffected by this. I was able to clear my Joplin data, reinstall Joplin, and sync from target and get it restored. phew!
I just wanted to report this, as the devs may have a better idea of what happened, and how it can be avoided/fixed.
Here is what happened:
- I think it may have occured when I uploaded a couple large .zip archives as resources (Drag n' drop, 500mb -ish).
- I didnt notice any issues immediately, but later (hour or 2) tried to open a different attachment, and literally nothing happened. I was in the middle of an important Lab report with a fast approaching deadline, so I just re-downloaded the file from University resources.
- The next morning, (Computer power cycled) I found that no links worked. They all reported the file at path didnt exist. I checked, and those resource files were indeed completely gone. Not it recycle bin either (Windows).
- I backed up by backup, Uninstalled Joplin, deleted Config and data folders for Joplin, Reinstalled, synced with Samba folder. All was Fixed!
OS - Windows 10 Home
Joplin - Desktop v1.2.6
Since recovering my data, I have setup rsnapshot for biweekly backups on my Samba Joplin sync folder... That was just too scary to almost lose 25 gb of well organized notes and resources.