Joplin questions regarding resources

Hello,

A new Joplin user here. I have so far managed to put all my recipies to Joplin and starting to add other notes (that I have in various txt / excel / word documents etc), but I have some questions regarding how Joplin works with files/attachments etc. I am using Windows app (v1.7.11) and Android app.

1. I have set Joplin to sync with OneDrive, but I also want to sync my notes to my personal NAS just in case. As for syncing/backupping, I have a software that handles that, but is it only this path that is needed to backup if something disasterous happens with OneDrive etc so I can actually have my notes/documents back just by restoring this path: C:\Users\ (username) \ .config\joplin-desktop ?

2. The web clipper usually clips all kinds of pictures on that webpage (ads etc) that I clear out after clipping which is fine. But I noticed that ALL those extra pictures are also saved to resources folder and they are not going away, even when there is no note that is actually using them! Is there some way for Joplin to check which images and other resources are actually used in notes, and delete all others?

3. A bit regarding the previous part, if I use the same exact picture on 10 different notes, does Joplin save that same picture 10 times as a resource instead of using the same one picture across all those 10 notes?

4. Have I understood right, that whatever file I attach to Joplin (excel, pdf, picture etc), Joplin creates a copy of it under Resources folder, so I can safely remove the original file?

5. Lastly, is there any way to change where the database and resources are located? For historical reasons I wouldn't want my files or databases located in the same C-drive where Windows is installed...

To 1)
Better is to use the BackupPlugin, because .config\joplin-desktop is the workingfolder and not a real backup for restoreing.

To 2)
When you edit the not, a version is created and the deleting of resources are depending on your history settings.
https://joplinapp.org/#note-history
https://joplinapp.org/note_history/

To 3)
When you use the same resource id, then the same resource is used.
When you copy the image every time from your Clibboard/PC then every time a new resource is created.

To 4)
Yes, Joplin creates copy's of the Files.
Only if links are used, joplin refers to the original file. This is then also not syncronized.

To 5)
Possible, with the profile switch, but not officle supported.
Under windows you can use symlinks (NTFS symbolic link).
mklink /D C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.config\joplin-desktop d:\joplin\joplin-desktop

2 Likes

Thanks JackGruber!

I will check Backup Plugin, sounds like what I needed.

As for deleting resources, I was just reading those links when I got this message :smiley: But it good to have a confirmation to what I was thinking, that the non-needed resources will be automatically deleted based on history settings.

Thanks for a tip regarding symbolic links, I have used those before in some cases but I forgot about them. Maybe I will look into it if it seems that there will be a bit too much data in C-drive, unless Joplin officially supports switching database location by then... :slight_smile:

To 3)
When you use the same resource id, then the same resource is used.
When you copy the image every time from your Clibboard/PC then every time a new resource is created.

This makes sense, but I am not sure how I could prevent Joplin from creating new resource ID when I am using a web clipper. When clipping many different pages from the same website (for example, recipies), there are often same images as bulletins, or whatever, so they just get copied again. I am just thinking about if Joplin would automatically detect if there was identical image already in resources, and then used that :slight_smile: But I guess this is not a huge issue, especially since I was writing this when I was looking my non-cleared resource folder with a lot of junk from web clipping: those will disappear when 90 days (my history setting) has passed. Or, I can disable the history for now, I guess.

To 4)
Yes, Joplin creates copy's of the Files.
Only if links are used, joplin refers to the original file. This is then also not syncronized.

This makes sense. Just out of interest, I guess it's common practise for Joplin users to use their files that way, as Joplin resources and not as links, am I right? At least to me it makes more sense as there are no several files across different folders then... But that reminds me: Can Joplin find text inside attachments as well?

This depends on you. I use only copy's but when you search the forum you will see that some also use links.

No Joplin don't search in the attachments.

No Joplin don't search in the attachments.

Okay, thanks for answers. I guess this is not a big issue since those attachments are "normal files" so any other software that can do the text search within a file can just search files inside that resource-folder as well :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.