Joplin 2.10.4 (pre-release) can't Enable encryption

• Joplin 2.10.4 (one on Ubuntu 22.04, one on Windows 10) & S3 sync target (Minio)

I upgraded from 2.9.17 today to see if I can escape from decrypt hell (it kept decrypting in batches of 100 messages, 24x7).

Now in 2.10.4 pre-release the Encrypt button doesn't do anything. I click on Enable encryption, and nothing happens.

Does anyone see the same problem? I've already tried:

• Disable sync
  • Turn off Joplin on Windows
  • Wipe S3 bucket data
  • Sync from S3 to wipe local data on Linux
  • Restore notes from a JEX backup
  • Enable sync on Linux to upload data to S3
  • Enable encryption again (it does nothing)

Joplin log doesn't register click on the button, it just indicates that decryption is in place.

2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "BasicDelta: Report: {"timestamp":1676613635615,"older":2227,"newer":0,"equal":1}"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Sync: fetchingTotal: Fetching delta items from sync target"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Sync: finished: Synchronisation finished [1676613945253]"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Operations completed: "
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "fetchingTotal: -"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Total folders: 37"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Total notes: 1166"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: Synchronizer: "Total resources: 43"
2023-02-17 14:05:46: "Sync has finished and note has never been changed - reloading it"
2023-02-17 14:05:47: "DecryptionWorker: starting decryption..."```

I also tried:

• disable/enable Master password Linux (OK)
  • Enable encryption (no reaction from the UI or in the log)

Another attempt:

• enable old Master password on Linux (OK)
  • Enable encryption (no reaction from the UI or in the log)

During this time I had the Windows client off. Later I enabled it and synced from S3, and there I get a warning about Master password needing attention (although it also says it's valid, and encryption is Disabled, so I don't know what might the purpose of that reminder).

I guess this is better than 2.9.17 which just wouldn't stop spinning my CPU no matter how long encryption was on.

This issue with the pre-release has also been reported this post.

I read that one as I was struggling with constant decrypt batching in 2.9, and because of the "solution" from that post I uninstalled my Joplin and upgraded.

But I'm still seeing this the problem he had in my 2.10 and I thought it's supposed to be solved in 2.10. Anyway, I'll watch Github for any changes or fixes.

@thatman

I would not mark my post above as a "solution". I just added a link to another report about this matter so that someone who can solve this is aware that the issue has been replicated by other users.

1 Like

That linked post is about the "Enable Encryption" button doing nothing and it was apparently "solved" by the user "downgrading".

I'm not able to replicate this. Is there any error in the console when you click on the button? How to enable debugging | Joplin

• Win10 22H2 (Virtual Machine)
  • Joplin 2.10.4 Desktop ("installed for me")
  • Flags.txt set
  • File system sync
  • Default install, no plugins. no modifications, no notes added
  • Default notes synced
  • Settings encryption selected
  • Enable encryption button changes colour as it registers click but nothing happens
  • Log attached

log.txt (32.7 KB)

Encryption_Button

Same happens if the master password is set before trying to start the encryption wizard.

EDIT:

Console log on button push (twice)

C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…r\gui\dialogs.js:16 Uncaught (in promise)
TypeError: smalltalk.alert is not a function
    at Dialogs.<anonymous> (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…ui\dialogs.js:16:29)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…gui\dialogs.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…gui\dialogs.js:4:12)
    at Dialogs.alert (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…ui\dialogs.js:15:16)
    at C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…figScreen.js:181:37
    at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)
    at rejected (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…onfigScreen.js:6:65)

C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…n\lib\Logger.js:190 19:11:45: e2ee/utils: toggleAndSetupEncryption: enabled: true  Master key null

C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…r\gui\dialogs.js:16 Uncaught (in promise)
TypeError: smalltalk.alert is not a function
    at Dialogs.<anonymous> (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…ui\dialogs.js:16:29)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…gui\dialogs.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…gui\dialogs.js:4:12)
    at Dialogs.alert (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…ui\dialogs.js:15:16)
    at C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…figScreen.js:181:37
    at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)
    at rejected (C:\Users\vbox\AppDat…onfigScreen.js:6:65)

VirtualBox_Joplin Testing W10_17_02_2023_19_14_37

3 Likes

@laurent would it help if the above post was created as a GitHub issue?

Thank you for creating the detailed report, and yes it would be better on GitHub, so that we don't forget about it

3 Likes

In v2.10.6 (pre-release) this looks fixed i.e. clicking on "Enable encryption" does trigger encryption actions.

How to encrypt, setup of Master keys, etc. is out of scope here, so for me this issue has been solved.

(Also, v2.10.6 looks better-behaved in terms of batch encrypting data than v2.9, so it's possible there have been other improvements related to encryption.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.