J icon on internal links and TOC questions from a newbie

Hello Joplin,
I’m a new user with v 1.0.170 on Windows 10. and I’ve got 2 questions:

1. When I create an “internal” link to an existing page I get a J logo in my formatted version. Is there a purpose for the J and can I get rid of it?
  2. When I try to create a table of contents, with [TOC] at the top of the page, nothing happens (I’ve got about 5 note pages). I’m also trying CherryTree and I can create an instant table of contents with the “Insert table of contents” menu item. What more must I do to create a TOC?

Are you in the preview pane? You won’t see the ToC in the source pane.

Hello zblesk
I’m on what I’d call the “main screen”, with the editor view on the left and the WYSIWYG view on the right. The J appears just in front of a blue internal link.

Sorry, wrong answer. The view is, as above: editor view on the left and the WYSIWYG view on the right. I see my TOC nowhere.

The TOC is a plugin, you could also check that it’s enabled: Options > Plugins > Enable table of contents extension

Hello slubman,

I did look and the box was already checked. Is the table of contents supposed to appear “out of nowhere” when [TOC] is on a page or do notes have to be structured in some way? When nothing happened, I gave all my page titles a “Heading”, but that changed nothing.

1 Like

Indeed the TOC is based on the headings in a note.

This is what happen for me:

Does that mean that I have to “build” the TOC page below the [toc]? I thought that the table of contents would be created from the structure of the underlying notes.

I’m confused,
The TOC is automatically built from the headers in the note (the line with a number of # at the front).

I’m comparing to CherryTree where one can select “Insert Table of Contents” and the table is generated “magically” out of nowhere based upon pages that have been created. I thought I could just put [toc] at the top of a Joplin page and the TOC would be generated. So it looks like I have to build a table of contents by hand.

The J icon shows that it is an internal link. No, there's no way to get rid of it. I certainly wouldn't want that, because I want to see right away which link references another note.
You might be able to use a userstyle.css to not show the icon, but I don't know for sure.

[toc]

No, you don't have to write anything by hand, except your note. Write your note with your headers.
After that you just write [toc] and the table of contents will magically appear.

I think I know what your misunderstanding is. A [toc] is a table of contents for a singular note. The text within one note.
You say page and probably mean a note. There is no [toc] for multiple notes. That’s why you have a note list.

1 Like

Thanks tessus.

So the j stays. As for TOC, CherryTree is magic because I don’t have to enter anything onto the page. So it’s the user who decides what he/she wants to see in the table of contents and how it is structured, by entering the # and the associated text? That’s fine by me. I thought I was missing a trick.

Ticket closed.

Thanks to all.

That’s right.

Blockquote
The J icon shows that it is an internal link. No, there’s no way to get rid of it. I certainly wouldn’t want that, because I want to see right away which link references another note.

The heart of the issue is that it’s interface chrome and it would be visually useful to remove it for some folks.

Note linking is a recent feature in Joplin but it’s a core feature to many people looking to organize their notes and some see it as important as tags.

I would love to see this as a first class option

@laird welcome to the forum.

Other threads on this forum have discussed customisation and resource icons and it is possible to remove the internal "J" icon whilst leaving the other resource icons (text, pdf etc) alone. It requires using userstyle.css.

This post has a method for removing only the "J" resource icon as well as colour coding to differentiate between internal and external links within a rendered note.

Thanks!

That’s good info. I think I need to look at the code a little more and figure out how this would be supportable over releases and platforms.