Issue syncing tags, some notes, folders between Mac and iOS

Ok, finally resolved this. Putting notes below in case it helps someone in the future.

I tried many things like:

• exporting and reinstalling all the apps
  • changing the sync folder (webdav) and re-syncing from scratch

In the end, I believe the the actual issue was a very large attachment that was causing sync to hang indefinitely.

While I never saw an error on the sync status page, and while I regularly saw the sync status say it was complete, I don’t think it was really finishing the sync process. I also think tags must be synced after resources which is why those never went.

What helped me final figure out the issue was looking at the logs.txt file in my joplin-desktop folder vs looking for errors in “sync status” or the console. I also added a file named flags.txt with the contents --open-dev-tools --log-level debug, although I am not sure if that actually changed the log output.

The culprit was:

“Uploading a large resource (resourceId: xxxxx, size:103089014 bytes) which may tie up the sync process.”

After going to Tools > Note attachments I was able to see the giant file and delete it. I then went and deleted the corresponding .crypted version from the joplin-desktop > resources folder.

Possible enhancements to prevent this for other people ( I will look into opening a feature request for these):

• Seems like it would be useful to see sync related logs on the sync status page
  • Wish I could see what note had the giant resource. In this case I was happy to delete the attachment without seeing which note it was in, but would make them easier to diagnose if I wasn’t sure.

Very happy to be back up and running again!

1 Like