Introducing Joplin Cloud Beta Program!

Here’s the info from the sync status page. Both the initial device and the phone are showing similar numbers:
Note: 277/277 (expected. I was rounding earlier)
Revision: 857/857
Total: 1169/1169

Mostly, I just wasn’t sure if that was expected.

Ok that looks right then. If it suddenly starts uploading or downloading many items again let me know.

I am very impressed, how well the sync works with joplin cloud. Thank you very much, Laurent!

2 Likes

Came here to say the same. It took days to sync though Dropbox, and only hours with Joplin Cloud. Everything smooth as can be, no errors, no problems. Uploaded from my desktop, then did a fresh install on Android, all finished in a couple of hours. I have a feeling I'll be keeping this after the beta :grin:

1 Like

For those of you still using Joplin Cloud, please consider upgrading to desktop pre-release 2.1.7, as it includes optimisations for Joplin Cloud.

If all works well I'll release this desktop version as final 2.1 release.

2 Likes

Seems to work just fine, haven't found any quirks (Windows 10).

2 Likes

The cloud feature looks fine and it will be really helpful if we can manage our notes on the web browser and sync on the fly same like evernote and MS onenote

Just to test I tried to delete the cloud files. Typed confirm as requested, then a 504 gateway error appeared. Repeated attempts won't delete a single file... Still have 117 pages of items. Bug perhaps?

Edit: so it does delete a few pages after each attempt, but then times out with the gateway error. I think that part night need a little work still :blush:

Rather than have the files deleted on the spot by the server, would it be an idea to just move them out to a temp location and then have a cron job get rid of them more orderly?

For the user that would be the same result, and the server load might be a little more balanced that way.

Another edit: I guess I broke it... {"error":"Knex: Timeout acquiring a connection. The pool is probably full. Are you missing a .transacting(trx) call?"}

BTW I turned on my main computer earlier, and Joplin happily deleted several files, because the failsafe only works when it's empty, not when files are partially gone and partially still there.
So that would probably be another reason to make sure everything is deleted "instantly" from a user standpoint... or at the very least lock the server while deletion is in process.

I didn't lose anything because I have multiple backups (and knew I might break things going in testing), but... yeah, you probably don't want to go live just yet :smiley:

1 Like

Yes a few users reported this and I'm planning to optimise it soon. Moving the items probably wouldn't help because it's still 117 pages to process and the delta information also needs to be generated for sync purposes. But I assume it can be optimised anyway.

Or maybe I should remove this button because I get the feeling it's going to cause more troubles than it's worth, and to delete all items (or most of them), it's always possible to delete all notebooks and notes from the app, then sync.

In fact I was initially planning to hide the Items tab as there's not much merit in showing a bunch of encrypted items with random names. It's more like a low level debugging tool.

Right, that would probably be best, just remove the button altogether to prevent tinkerers like me to break the system :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

All jokes aside though, just uploading a new vault and then restoring the backup is a pretty good work around, and I can't really think of any scenario why one would want to start over from scratch anyway.

As long as the server does not allow and retain "orphaned" files like the client does. Also IIRC there have been problems reported where a sync goes wrong and the solution is to delete a file from the sync target This would not be possible. Whilst I agree that the list of items is not overly useful I wonder if having the ability to purge the storage may be something useful to keep. Maybe as part of the admin's "user" panel?

Yes I think the issue is that it's not clear what would be the result of "Delete all" - it's clear it will delete all items, but not so much that it will also update the sync state, which means all devices will get their data deleted too. Sometimes that what you want, sometimes not.

I can't really think of ways to improve the usability of this feature though, so maybe it's indeed better to do everything from the app, because then it's clear what happens when you manually delete all your notebooks and notes.

1 Like

I can only think of one scenario, and actually one I have run into with my testing. I now have a few obsolete encryption files that perpetually invite me to type in the master password, but then when I go into settings, it informs me that the file didn't download which might be corrected with the next sync. Except...it never does.

So to preserve my sanity I have actually asked Laurent to purge my files for me as a one time courtesy, which will allow me to start from scratch again.... but I can imagine that is not very sustainable once "a lot of" people start using the service!

1 Like

Where is the Joplin Cloud servers hosted? US, UK, Switzerland, Iceland?

Will Joplin Cloud accept cryptocurrencies for payment?

afaik Laurent uses Stripe which allows this. ButI'm sure Laurent will be able to clarify that.

Hi everyone, just a head up to let you know that I've upgraded the server to the latest version. As far as I can see it's all working fine but if you notice anything strange please let me know.

On my side, everything works very well... :ok_hand:

Thanks. It looks like there's a non critical background task that's getting stuck, so I'm going to fix this just to be sure.