Inserting or attaching pdf documents or graphicw

Couldn't find in features
I would like to insert pdf and graphic documents in notes, or at least attach the notes as I do in Evernote, but I could not find a way to do that i Joplin

@Midvale welcome to the forum.

1. Use the toolbar "Attach file" icon:
    attach

2. Use the menu: Edit > Attach file

3. Drag & drop

4. Copy & paste

Also

Use the settings to make attached PDFs, audio files and video files display rather than just show as links (Markdown editor / viewer only).

1 Like

What it does is inserting a link rather than show the pdf. I need the pdf within the note and not linked because I want to open it on the mobile as well.

@Sabatino welcome to the forum.

Does the link look like this?

Example 1

[myfile.pdf](file:///home/name/Documents/myfile.pdf)

or like this?

Example 2

[myfile.pdf](:/1d9d6f60162a42979dcdf512d50ea5aa)

If it looks like Example 1 it means you held down the ALT key as you dragged and dropped a file onto a note. This is a link to a file on your local computer and so it will not sync the file to all Joplin clients.

If it looks like Example 2 then that is a link to a file that is stored in Joplin and will be available to all clients after the next sync.

If it looks like example 2 but you cannot see the actual PDF displayed, then you are possibly using the Markdown Editor but you do not have the Markdown Viewer Pane open. Toggle the editor layout using CTRL+L or this button:

You should see something like this...

Or you are using the Rich Text editor which does not display PDFs. Use the Markdown Editor.

(I do not use the Rich Text editor so I forgot about that, sorry)

Hi, thank you very much for replying to my question!
I already read some answers to the same/similar question, but the problem persists. I put all settings like you said and I'm using the Markdown editor although I would prefer the text editor (I'm not an IT guy). Nonetheless I don't manage to get my pdfs on the IPhone when I insert them on the PC (Win 10). Also, in the Markdown editor, in the left pane it displays the code and in the right pane the resulting text. The link is like in your example 2 ( link to a file that is stored in Joplin).

The code you have used for the rollup does not seem right. Try this (substituting your file info). The blank line after </summary> appears to be important.

<details markdown='1' open>
<summary><b>common cyber attacks ncsc.pdf</b></summary>

[common cyber attacks ncsc.pdf](:/0e9b8bbf877f4289a31880f4e4a0d163)
</details>

I only have Android devices but even though the Joplin Android client does not display a PDF "in-line" like the desktop client, the file is accessible on the mobile device. If you click the link in the note it will open the PDF on your mobile device in whatever app you have set for PDFs. Note that the first time you open the note on mobile it may take a while for the PDF to appear as the mobile client will not download attachments until you open the note containing one (this can be changed in the mobile app settings).

I changed the code (which was inserted like this by Joplin) according to your example. The result is not convincing, not even on the PC:

It looks like you're using an HTML note (not a markdown note).

HTML notes are not as well supported by Joplin as markdown notes. Try creating a new note (with the "new note" button) and pasting the markdown from this note into the new one.

What did you use to get Joplin to add the folding text for you?

Copying dpoulton's code into a new note does not change anything, sorry:

It looks like there is a space character between .pdf] and (:/75bd. If so remove it.

There was a line break but no blank. I removed the line break; the only thing that changed was that now there is a pdf icon before the address. I still cannot read the pdf on the mobile.

Thanks again for the help. I think I will return to Evernote because my focus of interest is not the note software itself but rather the note content.

I saw that there was something wrong with the link because for a valid markdown link in the markdown editor the bit in round brackets (:/75bd...ffa2) should be coloured a pale blue.

The appearance of the PDF icon means you do a have a link that will open the pdf. However if for some reason that is not appearing in the mobile client then, yes, it is a problem and, as another user, sadly one I do not have the knowledge to help you with.

Good point. If it is not making things any easier for you or it impacts your ability to store information the way you want to, then sticking with what does work for you seems the sensible option.

Safe travels.

I am not sure if this references the same issue, but I have noticed, as I attempt to migrate to Joplin from Evernote, that if I previously imported a pdf alone into Evernote, Evernote named the note title "blahblahblah.PDF".
So the note title ends in .pdf.
This seems to confuse Joplin when I import the .enex file and I end up with dead links to pdfs. It seems like Joplin might be looking for the resource of the pdf but that is also the name of the note, so it redirects and links to itself?
My workaround was to first, in Evernote, rename the note without the ".pdf", then export it as a .enex file, which Joplin imports it just fine.