Insert menu with all available codes(?)

[I'm not sure if "code" is the right term for what I'm talking about.]

Would it be possible to have an "Insert" menu that would have all of the codes available through the plugins. For example, if you have the Table of Contents feature activated, the insert menu would have [toc] available to insert. It seems like more and more plugins are using things like this and it would be nice to have an easy way to add them.

Another example is Automatic backlinks (with manual insert option) with the code <!-- backlinks-ignore -->

Also, it seems like plugins are starting to use special tags to add features to notes. It would be great if those special tags were available in the tag dropdown even before the tag had been added to any notes.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Let me know if you need clarification or if it has already been posted.

Thanks to all the developers!

I like the idea! And it should actually be simple (although not easy) to do.
Joplin already has a system that exposes all commands in the way (Ctrl+Shift+P) by default. So plugin developers will just need to register commands with Joplin that insert the special strings.

I think the best approach will be to reach out to the developers of the plugins you use and ask them to add such a command. I think on the Joplin side, a note about this (and other best practices for plugins) should be added.

1 Like

I know this feature from "Notion" and like it very much.

ctrl-shift-p is pretty close to that function, but I encounter the following issues:

• The note looses focus, so that I have to click to continue writing
  • it doesn't work in the wysiwyg editor

edit: Seems to affect only checkboxes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.