How to solve 1 item that can not be decrypted

After 1st sync with WebDAV source, my portable version shows constantly an error message :

"Some items cannot be decrypted. [View them now]"

In fact it is only 1 item that is not synched - as far as I understand my :arrow_down: report :arrow_down:.
When I do a search for the item "4986249a5bf24327b14d208bbd2334cd" it won't find anything.
A comparison with another device's sync status shows the same number of notes/folders/tags/notetags.

Any suggestions how to solve that? I even can't identify which note/attachement is affected.
I would not be annoyed if it was only noted in the debug report. But is shows a big orange error just below the navigation bar (file, edit, view...)

Here is my technical info:

Joplin 2.6.10 (prod, win32)
Portable Version
On Win10-System
Synching with WebDAV

==Export debug report==

Items that cannot be decrypted

Joplin failed to decrypt these items multiple times, possibly because they are corrupted or too large. These items will remain on the device but Joplin will no longer attempt to decrypt them.

Resource: 4986249a5bf24327b14d208bbd2334cd[Retry]

[Retry All]

Attachments

Not downloaded: 14
Downloading: 0
Downloaded and decrypted: 2778
Downloaded and encrypted: 1
Created locally: 17
Error: 0

Sync status (synced items / total items)

Note: 868/868
Folder: 34/34
Resource: 2810/2810
Tag: 241/241
NoteTag: 2323/2323
MasterKey: 0/1
Revision: 187/187
Total: 6463/6464
Conflicted: 0
To delete: 0

P.S. Clicking the "retry"-links in the debug report doesn't help too.

Hey there, I think it's a resource, you can find it in resources folder in joplin profile. You can save it somewhere else and try deleting it from resources folder. Maybe this way it would "fix" the error message.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, @graphit0. I followed your steps and deleted the file from the resources folder, but it made no difference. After every synchronisation with the source database by WebDAV the "Some items cannot be decrypted. View them now" warning appeared again.

Finally I tried it the "Delete local data and re-download from sync target" button (Tools -> Options -> Synchronisation). And now Joplin workes fine again!

[Which was quite unexpected. I made several attempts to do the same by re-installing Joplin (including 1st-time synching) before and failed.]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.