How to restore Joplin after reformatting?

I often reformat windows, was using the portable version, but it has some bugs.

What is the best way to back up and restore Joplin after re-install? I'm ok with the data, but want I want to back up and restore is:

• Plugins with all settings
  • All settings
  • Custom CSS file
  • All application settings

Windows 10 , 64 Bits

Joplin 2.9.17 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 3866795450364e1297412f74a97b4a8f
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 41
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: a84a8e7

As insurance make a full backup of just the note data and attachments. File > Export All > JEX - Joplin Export File. You should not need it but it's best to be cautious.

If using the portable version just copy the executable and the profile folder that is with it to somewhere safe. The profile folder contains the note data, config files, custom css and plugins. Put them back after the Windows reinstallation ensuring that the executable and profile folder are together.

For the desktop version copy C:\users\<username>\.config\joplin-desktop to somewhere safe. This folder contains the note data, config files, custom css and plugins. Reinstall Windows. Copy the joplin-desktop folder back to C:\users\<username>\.config\joplin-desktop (you may have to also create the .config folder). Install Joplin. Run Joplin and it should detect and use the joplin-desktop folder. If Joplin is using the Windows Keychain (Keychain Supported: Yes) you will have to enter your sync password on the sync settings page and if you are also using E2EE you will have to enter your master password when prompted.

Not using portable version as there are synching issues with .lock files.

How do I do this with standard version?

I edited the post to include this information however that may not be visible to you if you are viewing an email notification. See the post on the forum.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.