How to initialize new remote synchronization target from local notes?

I started taking notes locally without synchronizing them. Now I want to synchronize - but how? Choosing an empty directory as synchronization target leads to either wiping of my local notes or - in this latest version - shows a warning that this would happen.

My expectation in this case is that Joplin initializes the remote synchronization location with my local content. Is this possible? How would I do this?

Any help is appreciated.

Version number: 1.0.169

If it tells you that, you most likely tried to sync with a folder before, then changed the folder afterwards without moving the notes. The easiest way out is to export to JEX, clear your local profile, then import and sync.

2 Likes

Export and import sounds like a good idea, I’ll try that. Thank you.

But just so I know for the future: should it work as I expected? Say, I never tried to synchronize and never configured something, then configure file system sync, then synchronize - should it initialize the synchronization target with my local content?

Yes it will upload your notes to the sync target and from then on keep your devices in sync.

1 Like

Cool, good to know. In my case the workaround with export/import did the trick. Thank you very much for your fast response and help.