How do I fix "Sync target is locked - aborting API call"

I am getting the error message "Sync target is locked - aborting API call". When restoring Joplin data by importing a Joplin .jex file. It seems to run for hours, longer than I am at my Mac at any one sitting, and at some point displays the message. This is the 3rd time it has given me this error.

  • I started with a fresh install of Joplin for Mac and an empty Webdav folder on my Webdav sync folder.
  • I only have 1 client ( the Mac ) connected to the Webdav server.
  • I clicked on file->import from Joplin jex file.
  • I disabled sleep on my Mac
  • In the most recent occurrence, I let the sync run overnight and had the error when I checked in the morning.

Environment Information:
macOS: 11.1.
Joplin information for my Macbook:
Joplin 1.6.7 (prod, darwin)
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: b74b849 (master)

What causes this error, and how can I fix it?

1 Like


It took me a bit to locate the log file. I found one in ~/.config/joplin-desktop. Hopefully that is the correct file ( attached). It looks like the error happened 8 times. However, in the end Joplin seems to have completed synchronizing with my Webdav server.

log.txt (684.7 KB)

Update: Joplin eventually finished syncing on my Mac , and later on my other devices as I did them one at a time.

The file lock errors may have been due to the size of the initial sync , which was 2.5GB of files. I think the file count was around 72k, about 42k of markdown files, and 30k of resource files such as images and pdfs.

The app is working great now that Iā€™m over until initial synchronization hurdle. Thx for taking a look at it .

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.