Hide Tags Section from Sidebar (left-most panel)

Hi there!

Thank you so much for this wonderful notebook. Finally, I am able to save some bucks by moving from Evernote to Joplin.

I never liked the tag feature, and what I love about Joplin is that it has a sub-notebook feature. It seems far-far better than having tags.

Is there any way to hide that Tag section from the panel. I am not using the tags in my notes and still I see that Tag section below the Notebook section. IMO it should be visible only when a user creates the first tag, in other cases it should stay hidden as it has no use.

Alternatively, an option can be given in Settings>Appearance to hide the Tag section. You can also give an option to hide the Notebook section as well. It will be useful for the users who only wants to organize via Tags and not through Notebooks and vice-versa.

Rest, I find Joplin very satisfactory. Thanks a lot, especially for the encryption feature.

1 Like

You can do this by adding the following to your userchrome.css in Preferences > Appearance > Advanced

/* list of tags */
.tags {
    display: none !important;
}

/* tags header */
.sidebar div div:nth-of-type(3) {
}

Since it isn't a very specific selector, it is possible you'll need to update if new sections are added someday.

2 Likes

Hi uxamanda, thank you for your prompt help. I used your code. It is working quite well for Tags section, but somehow it is also hiding the third notebook from Notebooks list. I am not sure how to go about with this? Is there any work around for this?

Seems nth-of-type(3) is trying to hide every <div> element that is the third of its parent. Not sure though!

Luckily I found the solution. Your code will work perfectly fine if I insert < within header css. So, the code that I inserted in usechrome.css is:

/* list of tags */
.tags {
}

/* tags header */
.sidebar > div > div:nth-of-type(3) {
}

The > is necessary, otherwise it will target any descendent divs (grandchildren, etc) instead of just direct children. Source

Whoops, yes your way is the right way. That's what I get for not testing my code :-). Glad it worked out!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.