Global Shortcut for creating new note

Hi everyone!
I am using Joplin but i miss a global shortcut to add new notes.
I am on kubuntu linux 18.04 (ubuntu) with kde plasma.
In kde it is possible to create specific global shortcuts but for this i would some command oder dbus or whatever to which the trigger is directing.
Joplin is always running. So it should best happen via the running instance/process.
Any hints for that?

Besides: Ctrl+N is the inapp Shortcut, this one should go global :wink:

Iā€™m all for a global shortcut to add notes, or todo items, but PLEASE do not make it CTRL+N, that is the most common ā€œCreate a new document, etc.ā€ shortcut there is, so making that work globally would be a pain everytime you are in another software. E.g. Libre Office, Visual Studio Codium, etc.

Yeah of courseā€¦Depends on your system and your config. Unfortunately I donā€™t know what the right commend is to open a new noteā€¦

Besides a contextmenue for right-click on the systemtray icon with an entry ā€œNew Noteā€ would also be fine and a workaround for the time beingā€¦

I tried to add a shortcat via the global shortcuts menue in kde plasma but there is only the possibility to open joplin not the other commands (in other apps there are many commands you can choose and change the shortcut). So i think a dbus shortcut or soemthing like this would do the trick in Linux

Update: I tried to search through the dbus but couldnā€™t find any activity which was pointing to joplin. I think it does not use dbus, which is not too good for linux usersā€¦But I am not really sure about thisā€¦

The shortcut systen in general has to be re-designed. So I guess at that time, global shortcuts will be implemented as well. No ETA though.

In case it could be helpfull, I use autohotkey to simulate global shortcuts:

• one to add a new note from the selection
  • one to search in all notes
    Here is the code I have in ahk script. It works fine for me.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;ctrl+w pour crƩer ne nouvelle note
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;joplin 'new note'
^w::
Send, ^c
IfWinExist Joplin
{
WinActivate, Joplin
}
Else run C:\Users\lega\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\joplin.exe
WinWaitActive, Joplin
Send, ^t
Sleep 200
Send, ^v
Sleep 500
Send, ^+Ć©
return

;win+shift+w pour chercher dans toutes les notes

;joplin 'search in all notes'
#+f::
Send, ^c
IfWinExist Joplin
{
WinActivate, Joplin
}
Else run C:\Users\lega\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\joplin.exe
WinWaitActive, Joplin
Send, {F6}
return

2 Likes