Generate List/TOC of Note Titles in Notebook?

I'm in the process of migrating from Evernote and finding it mostly pretty easy with a few adjustments on my part.

I'm trying to find a way to generate a list of note titles in a notebook. Evernote calls this a "Table of Contents" and it can be copied/pasted.

I'm thinking this is probably possible, but I'm having a hard time finding it because the TOC capability that I'm finding discussed relates to headings in a note. And "list of notes" and similar search terms are just too generic maybe?

Thanks!

v. 2.2.7
Windows 10

You could select all the note, right click and select "Copy Markdown link". The text will be Markdown links so maybe not what you want, it depends where you want to paste it afterwards.

Hi @Ellsinore, you can try the Note overview plugin with the following setting to create a overview of all notes in a notebook:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: notebook:"Welcome! (Desktop)"
fields: title, updated_time
alias: updated_time AS Last edit, title AS Title
sort: title DESC
-->

to get a note like this:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for these suggestions. Since I just want the titles and no markdown, I'll have to brush up on my regex skills to get a "plain text" list and will try to work on that. In the meantime, if anyone has a "plain text" solution for only the titles, I'll be keeping an eye out for that. Thanks! :slight_smile:

You need the new list option from the plugin:

<!-- note-overview-plugin
search: notebook:"Welcome! (Desktop)"
fields: title, updated_time
listview:
  text: "{{title}}"
  linebreak: true
  separator: null
  prefix: null
  suffix: null
-->

That's the ticket! Thank you!

Although I am not migrating for Evernote, I have been looking for a similar solution to create such as "Table of contents" for grouping different notes all related to a specific project.
I found your suggestion applies perfectly to this purpose.
Thanks @JackGruber for this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.