File locked

I got this error during sync Joplin to Nextcloud:
Error: PUT 97d47cde84c94a0695210d99f62ed4bf.md: "Joplin/97d47cde84c94a0695210d99f62ed4bf.md" is locked (Exception OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Exception\FileLocked) (423): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <d:error xmlns:d="DAV:" xmlns:s="http://sabredav.org/ns"> <s:exception>OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Exception\FileLocked</s:exception> <s:message>"Joplin/97d47cde84c94a0695210d99f62ed4bf.md" is locked</s:message> </d:error>

How could this be solved?

Solved:

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/file-is-locked-how-to-unlock/1883

I'm using Nextcloud myself and I've been using Redis from the beginning, so I never came across this error.

But this proves once again how screwed up Nextcloud development is. This file locking bug has not been fixed in 4 years, even though file sharing is Nextcloud's core functionality.

I have mentioned many, many times to to nc devs that priorities are way off in their project, but I got ignored, scorned, and told I was wrong.

Yet. I can't use a date/time format of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM (ISO date + 24h time) with a week starting on Monday. Brilliant, isn't it.

I don't understand why they don't simply enforce Redis for file locking. Nothing to develop, just drop the broken db lock because even though it's less setup, it just doesn't work and never did.

It's not even a rare edge case, as the bug can be easily triggered within minutes of using Nextcloud.

There are a lot of things I don't understand when it comes to Nextcloud. But I doubt Nextcloud will get any new customers as soon as ownCloud Infinite Scale is ready.

Nextcloud was sort of ok, but its performance/resource ratio is awful and they rather build new and half-baked features nobody really needs instead of concentrating on the basics.

The only thing that I really need is file sharing, calendar, contacts. (I don't even need the web apps for calendar/contacts. They are useless anyway... it's not even possible to enter a birthday w/o a year). Unfortunately all of these have major problems and for some reason the Nextcloud devs ignore all these essential issues.

I can transfer a file via sftp to my server with 12 MB/s. When syncing a file with Nextcloud the transfer speed is 180-340 kb/s. The performance of WebDAV access of directories and files is abysmal.
(I ran the tests while there was no other traffic on the server except mine.)

I will certainly get rid of Nextcloud at one point. I wish them all the best, but they've lost my trust and confidence when it comes to proper SW achitecture and development years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.