Feature request - By-Notebook sorting preference

In the Windows (and Android) clients, there are (for my taste) plenty of sorting options, but I would like to be able to specify a default sort for any specific notebook, apart from the default sort for the app overall. (e.g. I use Evernote, soon-to-be-Joplin) for my journal and title each entry with the date (in ISO format for good sorting, yyyy-mm-dd) and want the sort order to be in Reverse order By Title so my entries are in date sequence regardless of when any note was created or updated. Generally, I want most other notebooks to sort by Create date or maybe Modified date most of the time.

Bart

17 Likes

+1 for such feature

I would also appreciate such a feature for the same reasons.

I am also maintaining a journal where all notes in that notebook simply have the date as their title (BTW, I also use format yyyy-mm-dd). Obviously, sorting by title in reverse order makes most sense because, otherwise, I would have to scroll down more and more in order to access the latest journal entry.

In notebooks containing notes about a specific matter I’d prefer alphabetical sort order (ascending).

Currently, I am using Joplin for my journal the most, so I configured descending alphabetical sort order application wide. But it’s really a drawback for all my other notebooks where I’d prefer ascending order most of the time.

2 Likes

I’d like this as well.
I have some notebooks where alphabetical (title) makes sense, others where I want a custom sort, and still others by creation date.

2 Likes

another +1 for this functionality

1 Like

another +1
Especially for all the all notes view i would prefere a different sorting (by date) than the rest of my notebooks (by name)

3 Likes

+1 Tossing my coin in the fountain here for this feature.

#Me Too

1 Like

Very much interested in this feature too

1 Like

Me too!
I would like to be able to sort my 'main' notebook by Updated Date and my 'tasks' notebook a Custom order where I can move the tasks up and down

1 Like

It's probably worth noting here that this feature was delivered in Joplin Desktop, as the "Toggle own sort order" property of Notebooks - sometime in early 2022 I believe.

Unfortunately, the feature is not working for "All Notes." Other notes need to be adjusted manually. And do you know what the problem is? The "Reverse Sort Order" setting is buggy.

For "All Notes," I want the notes with the most recent "Updated Date" to appear at the top, so I check the "Reverse Sort Order" option. In my other notebooks, I choose the "title" sort order, but since I want them to start from "A," I don't check the "reverse sort order." But guess what happens. In "All Notes," because "Reverse Sort Order" is checked, other notes also start appearing in reverse alphabetical order after a while!

I have also found the "reverse sort order" to be buggy, but in a different way: it seems to randomly become un-set for individual notebooks. This happens only after days of usage. I have not posted a bug because I cannot reproduce the problem.
I do not use the "all notes" feature.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your message about the situation. I have opened a topic reporting this bug. Maybe we actually have the same issue. Can you also write in the topic I opened, detailing your issue, to draw the attention of the developers and find a solution? Regards...