Feature: Joplin - follow a conventional directory file view

As I've kept the folder structure simple, I didn't realize this problem until you pointed it out. Ah, yes, it can be quite troublesome if it doesn't jump to the location. It should be a good idea to have this feature.

I use Joplin for notes and Obsidian to manage image files. Obsidian's sidebar doesn't automatically jump to the containing folder when a user opens a note using a shortcut key. You need to use another shortcut to navigate to the folder. I was frustrated by this issue.

I really agree with this suggestion as almost a fundamental feature for ease of use, which I had suggested here: Request: display sub-notebooks when opening a notebook.

A toggle in View > Display sub-notebooks inside notebook would solve the issue of preference.

To clarify: the notes themselves contained in all the underlying tree shouldn't be displayed in the parent notebook, as that would inundate any notes contained in the parent notebook, but instead the names of the subnotebooks should be displayed at the top of the list (and, ideally, clickable), like a file explorer.

In the post I linked above I gave another argument for showing sub-noteboks: navigation in the phone apps would be much easier. Here was my example:

For example, I have a notebook "Personal notes" with subnotebooks,
> "Cooking Recipes" with several notes
> "Creative Ideas", with several notes

When I click on "Personal Notes" notebook, I get the message "No notes in here. Create one by clicking on "New Note". Ideally I should see "Cooking Recipes" and "Creative Ideas" as subnotebooks.

Currently, the only way to see the notes in "Cooking Recipes" is to use the tree navigator on the left panel on the computer, or, requiring extra taps in the phone, clicking the menu button in the phone to reveal the tree navigator, use the dropdown arrows to navigate to the sub-notebook, and clicking again on "Cooking Recipes". This required three taps and two changes of screen, instead of a single click.

This added friction really affects my experience everytime I use the Joplin phone app.

1 Like