(Below some information about the system and how to reproduce the error)
Hi, I have migrated my 500+ notes from Simple Note to Joplin using a home-made script.
In the process I discovered that notes that include the ampersand character ("&") in the title caused an import error.
The error disappears and the “&” is rendered correctly if I change “&” to “&”
Is this the expected behavior? I realize this may be an enex/xml issue. I can’t quite understand why the enex format excludes the title from the “transparent” markdown.
Perhaps because it is not included in the CDATA block?
joplin 1.0.163 (prod)
Joplin 1.0.201 (prod, linux)
Client ID: 9384189f71b04813b5a92d998b4201bd
Sync Version: 1
Profile Version: 28
Revision: e65af8c (master)
Offending ENEX file
$ cat test.error.title.enex
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export3.dtd"> <en-export export-date="20200430055934Z"> <note> <title>Test with ampersand -- I mean this character: & -- in title </title> <content> <![CDATA[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd"> <en-note> Test with ampersand -- I mean this character: & -- in title #H1 here is a title and some text </en-note> ]]> </content> <created>20200429T085301650Z</created> <updated>20200429T085315000Z</updated> <note-attributes> <author>Rafa</author> </note-attributes> <tag>error1</tag> </note> </en-export>
Joplin CLI output
Line 7,char 55 is the character immediately after the ‘&’ in the enex file
$ joplin import test.error.title.enex Importing notes... Error: Invalid character in entity name Line: 7 Column: 55 Char: Found: 1. Created: 0.
Joplin GUI output –
no feedback - screen appears to freeze
(will write a separate topic on this behavior if not covered elsewere)