Embed notes inside a note

It would be nice if one could embed notes (the content of them) inside a “parent” note.
This embedded note might be not editable (view only) but would be one click away via link.

It would help editing notes that are large by having them chunked down to child notes.

1 Like

So, a hyperlink between notes? Or the actual contents of the ‘embedded’ note?

Not the OP, but I would like this as a way to embed the entire note. Would be useful when editing and to consolidate a group of notes around a similar topic.

The internal cross-linking would also be useful, I've seen it discussed a few times, most recently here Internal Quick Linking + Mindmapping - #7 by nickdex.

2 Likes

@Rootman @uxamanda Actual contents of the ‘embedded’ note. If it would be too hard to make those editable (i guess it would) then “view only” mode would be sufficient imo.

One could read while scrolling through embedded notes and if he wanted to edit one of them he would just go to it via link and edit there.

2 Likes

I second this request adding a hint to Obsidian, 1Writer and TiddlyWiki which all include this concept as "transclusion" afaik.

1 Like

There is possibility of doing "view-only" embeds with recently introduced communication between Markdown renderer and plugin functions.

So i think i'll do such plugin (if somebody else won't do it first)

3 Likes

By the power of plugins one could even dream up something like a TOC list of notes as result of a search term. See https://tiddlywiki.com/static/list-links%20Macro.html

3 Likes

Good idea, thanks for posting.
I will do something like this when i will figure out how to get data from plugin to preview (not sure if its possible atm, but talked with Laurent about it).

Basically it would work by inserting code like this:

```search
searchterm
```

and markdown preview pane would show all notes that match "searchterm".

The last 3 backticks should be on their separate line.

```search
searchterm
```
1 Like

Yes :slight_smile: i just can't find how to escape or get three backticks render literally in post, how do you do that?
Inside [code][/code]?

<pre>
  <code>

write your markdown

</code>
</pre>

How to Use Code Examples in HTML (simmons.edu)

1 Like

Thanks, fixed previous post!

I actually used 4 spaces on every code line.

e.g.

space space space space backtick backtick backtick search
space space space space searchterm
space space space space backtick backtick backtick

Ahh,I forgot about this method of posting code

Was triing to include 3 backticks inside 3 backticks :slight_smile:

I thought that three backticks are for blocks of code but they are resolved to one backtick as it turns out ( https://meta.stackexchange.com/a/189921/344214 )

It depends. There's inline code and there are code blocks.

Inline code can be started with any number of backticks, with the inline code following, and then the same number of backticks again.

A code block is started by X number of backticks (usually 3), an optional language identifier, followed by a line break.
Then there's comes the code.
And on a new separate line, you have X number of backticks again, followed by a line break.

It's all in the markdown specs.

1 Like

I love this idea! I had a similar idea for displaying notes from a tag Any suggestions on what plugins could be created? - #40 by uxamanda

1 Like

Search version would be more universal - like combining tags and text queries but it also could have syntax for just tags or just notebooks.
For example:

```tags
#todo
```
```notebooks
@mynotebook
```

```search
red and tasty #fruits
```
2 Likes

Something similar to links to blocks in Obsidian.