Doubts regarding bug fixing

I had certain questions with respect to bug fixing. Please bear with me as I am new to open source contributions. I have gone through the Build.md and Contributions.md files and I have successfully built the desktop app on my machine. I would be grateful if you could help me here:

• What is the industry/community method to roll back to previous version to fix the bugs in that version ( specifically the current desktop version ). Should I checkout the commit after making a branch and then make the fixes and make a PR? or should I reset the git head to that version and make the changes?
  • In case of the former, will generating a pull request change anything built upon the further versions?

Hello,
I am Mohnish Mirchandani, a computer science developer and student from India. I have been using Joplin since the past six months or so for notetaking in various courses.

I am currently profecient in MERN stack development and I am in the process of learning electron, ci/cd and docker. I am truly excited to become a part of this vibrant community.

Thank you.

3 Likes

I don't think you need to check out any commit to fix a bug. If you can reproduce the bug on master - fix it there, if you cannot, then maybe it's been fixed already and there's nothing to do.

Ok, so you mean that I should just check if the bug still exists in the latest dev version and then in case it does, fix it there? So those bugs get fixed in the next LTS release?

Yes, exactly