Document Scanning

I haven’t been able to find anything about this in either the github issues or here in the forum.

Have there been any discussions about implementing a document scanner/existing scanner apps that can easily share to Joplin?

I’d love to try to work on this, although i haven’t really done any mobile app development before.

I have a rough idea of what a document scanner needs to do, although I’ve never done any Android/iOS development

1 Like

By Document Scanner you mean something like this? I like the idea as it provides an elegant way to include hand-written notes. Could even be paired with OCR to make it searchable.
However, I think this goes way beyond the scope of Joplin. Even if it could be implemented with relative ease (which I don’t think is the case here) it would be yet another big feature to maintain. What’s more is the fact that compared to other note-taking applications like Evernote or OneNote, Joplin is relatively lightweight which I’m sure is one of the reasons why lot’s of users went with Joplin in the first place.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, that seems perfect. Since that already exists, It would probably work to be able to share images to joplin. I’ll see if there are any threads about that topic (sharing images to joplin)

Hi @Lomtikirok welcome to the forum.

I do not know if you realised it but the thread you posted on was four years old. zdog234 hasn't posted on the forum since AUG 2019 and that was to create this thread!! :slight_smile:

The forum now locks threads after a period of inactivity but the older ones remain unlocked. If you could avoid necroposting that would be great.

Anyway, there is now a plugin called Joplin Hot Folder that monitors a local folder and imports anything that appears in that folder into Joplin as a note. It could be used as a target folder for a scanner.

1 Like

necroposting is a very interesting term - never heard it before.
Is it commonly used among digital natives ? :wink:

I've seen it used many times on other forums. It has been used in the past on this one as well. Even has a Wiktionary page!

1 Like

I scan my PDF documents with a Fujitsu ScanSnap IX100 and upload them with the Synology drive to a share of my Syno, where they are converted to a PDF with text overlay by OCRmyPDF which runs on Docker on the Syno. Afterwards this PDF stored i a second folder and from the hotfolder plugin imported into Joplin.

@JackGruber, thanks for this description of your workflow! Is the output PDF (with text overlay) then searchable in Joplin?

No search in the attached documents is at the moment not included in Joplin.
For this is a plugin avaliable, but i don't know how good the plugin is.

Ok, thanks. I thought the problem with not being able to search in Joplin was that the PDF was not searchable but I guess the case is that it doesn't attempt to search attachments at all.

Sad but true - and a major drawback when you compare Joplin with Evernote or OneNote. When you put privacy first, Joplin takes first place, though.

1 Like