Disconcerting Sync issue message saying all data is about to be deleted!

Operating system

Windows

Joplin version

Desktop version info

Joplin 2.13.15 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 6985ec01066c4c2e88bca9f5d6b1b93c
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 44
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 7d2c1c0

Sync target

OneDrive

Editor

Markdown Editor

What issue do you have?

Why do I see this message:

Completed: 16/01/2024 14:03 (7s)
Last error: Fail-safe: Sync was interrupted because 100% of the data (2238 items) is about to be deleted. To override this behaviour disable the fail-safe in the sync settings.

It is rather disconcerting. What is going on?

It means app doesn't see your notes on the cloud. First of all, make an export of all notes to .jex (i.e. backup)

then check what's going on the cloud. Were notes indeed deleted? Or the cloud was unintentionally disconnected somehow? Maybe some rogue OneDrive client did some "housekeeping"? Gotta check

In any case DO NOT disable fail-safe or your notes will be deleted

This started after a Windows update and I had errors with OD trying to reset and backup what it thinks should be backed up and as a result It started to backup folders outside my OD folder (I dont need this). That created lots of duplicate files.

I think I have sorted out OD, but now Joplin syncing is an issue. I have 3 Joplin folders in OD online (Joplin, Joplin 1 and Joplin 2), not sure why.

I will make a backup of Joplin, but how do I get rid of the issue and stop OD creating duplicate Joplin folders?

PS OD is still connected and nothing has been deleted so far, as I am still editing inside Joplin and nothing appears missing.

after you've done your backup, try reauthorizing Joplin with OneDrive
Tools -- Options -- Sync -- Open wizard -- OneDrive

I think I have sorted out OD, but now Joplin syncing is an issue. I have 3 Joplin folders in OD online (Joplin, Joplin 1 and Joplin 2), not sure why.
I will make a backup of Joplin, but how do I get rid of the issue and stop OD creating duplicate Joplin folders?

It's unclear what caused OneDrive to attack Joplin files. Such cases are rare and are happening because of OneDrive malfunction, not Joplin's. So, if worst comes to worst you can migrate to other cloud to prevent future cases like that.

Also please note that at this point the app synchronisation state is broken, so it will be complicated to recover from it.

The best thing to do indeed is to backup everything as JEX, then delete your profile (or create a new one under File => Profile), then import your notes and sync again. This will ensure that the sync state in the app is consistent with what's on OneDrive

laurent/graphito:

Thanks both for the advice, as time goes on i am less happy with the way OD works, and am already too reliant on it, so in this instance I am going to move to a different cloud for Joplin backups/syncing, even if it means forking out a few bucks a month.

So I have created a new profile and imported my backup into it (as this morning's work has oddly disappeared - thanks again OD). I have then changed the synchronisation target for this profile to Joplin Cloud.

Hopefully no more syncing problems caused by Windows Updates.

Tony

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.