I do understand what you mean, I used to experience the same 1-2 seconds lag and it was getting old. Especially on the contrast that many other electron applications are much more responsive.
I did some tweaking and it went down to 0.3-0.9 seconds per action. It's not pleasant to see a visible lag but at least it is better than it was before.
Tweaks I did
turned off the spell checker in markdown editor
Disabled note tabs
// I think there was something off with outline plugin and backlinks, but I'm no longer sure
// I also think Persistent Editor Layout adds a few ms when switching a note, but I kept it anyway
Moved to flatpack from appimage (doesn't affect performance but starting time went down from 30s+ to just 7s)
I still wouldn't dare to click through 100 notes in a row (happens while searching). But I can do day to day tasks just fine.
@ken1kob, it might be worth disabling all the plugins, and if you find the response has improved to your satisfaction, then to reintroduce the plugins one at a time to see if particular one/s cause slow down?
Well, honestly I'm not surprised that it improved starting time, I just couldn't predict that it can run 4x faster than the official package.
And yeah, I get that you're using Windows I.e. it's not applicable to you, just thought that fellow Linux folk might stumble upon the post searching for mysterious issue with the overall responsiveness.
By the way, do you experience a memory leak as well? Seems to be the common problem with electron on Windows.
Issues with performance are rarely discussed here cause y'know we're running an electron app. And it's hard to search for this stuff because you don't know what's the issue, just the symptom whereas the terms describing it are very generic.
Also the fix require an intimate knowledge of codebase and much willpower illustrating the benefits of a solution to people running high spec rigs.
I thought one day I might try my hand at measuring performance as part of integration testing project but again, codebase and the willpower are out of my reach.
Interesting. I use the same 3 plugins and some more. And my system (), which also runs windows, looks weaker than yours. But as also described above, I experience no slow reactions. Except at starting the program (I forgot to tell you thatearlier), but that doesn’t matter to me.
I have only very limited inside in hardware related topics, but did you check your system monitor while using Joplin to see if there are enough resources available for it? E.g. I learned that Joplin takes a big share of RAM for example. I think you should be fine with your 32 GB of available RAM, but just in case…
I don't mind and I can follow your introduction, but I can't identify my action to measure it. So how do I identify my click on a new note as a starting point? And of course the end of measurement too...
I see. The detailed procedure of my action (Switching to "1. Welcome to Joplin" from the same notebook) is:
The measuring target note is "1. Welcome to Joplin" in "Welcome! (Desktop)" notebook, which is the default notebook when a profile is newly created.
Before a measurement, select "2. Importing and exporting notes ↔️" in in "Welcome! (Desktop)" notebook.
(Start recoding) Click the Record button in DevTool.
Wait three seconds.
(Action) Select "1. Welcome to Joplin" note by clicking a note list item in the NoteList panel.
Wait five seconds.
(Finish recording) Click the Record button in DevTool again.
Now, you will see a performance view like the above image in DevTool.
In the upper part of the view, you can find "CPU" row, and in the row, you can find a yellow mountain. It means the execution of note-switching.
Next, by dragging and mouse-wheeling, adjust the "Main" row to magnify whole the yellow mountain. After adjustment, the first task of the execution will be "Event: click" in the Main row, but the end task varies case-by-case.
At the bottom row, if you select "Summary" tab, you can find the elapsed time of the execution in the "Main" row, and its breakdown list is displayed.