Delete E2EE Master Keys

That's fine - the pros outweigh the cons :slight_smile:

1 Like

based on everything I have read in this thread I have done the following

1- export the notes in a .jex

2- uninstall all instances / installations on all devices except the main device

3- remove any joplin trace on all devices (uninstall joplin, erase all related data hosted on devices)

4- verify that the joplin installation on the main device has no errors or bugs in the notes (double or triple check)

5- uninstall joplin on the main computer

6- unlink sync service (in my case dropbox, unlink joplin from dropbox and then delete all traces of joplin in dropbox)

7- reinstall joplin on the main computer (import the .jex)

8- configure joplin to your liking and configure the synchronization service (follow the steps according to the service, I recommend using an encryption key different from the one you had previously)

9- synchronize the notes with the service, I recommend doing this several times to make sure there are no errors (at this point the only E2EE Master Keys that appeared was from my main computer)

10- install joplin on other devices (one at a time), configure at ease and configure the synchronization service

11- wait for everything to synchronize, do this several times until you are sure that the notes are the same on the main device as on the other devices

in theory that should be enough ...

in my case after doing, in all joplin installations the only E2EE Master Keys that appears to me is the one of the main computer, I only had to put the new encryption key and then no more E2EE Master Keys appeared in any other device

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to decrypt, delete old key, and create a new encryption key locally and start over.

A related issue - I just started Joplin Cloud and accidentally ran into this issue when I tried to sync to Joplin Cloud - but it is not clear how to wipe Joplin Cloud.

After wiping (manually deleting .config) from macOS and reinstalling as "clean" once I reconnect to Joplin Cloud the erroneous key repeats. To make matters worse I forgot to click save in my password manager so I no longer have the first randomly generated encryption key, so I cannot use E2EE on a new device, as well as having multiple keys and the banner warning.

Kindly see cross-post of this issue at Joplin Cloud wipe possible? - #9 by o5t6iaqo7

1 Like

Wow, I have not visited this forum in a while and now see a lot of activity on this topic. I read above that someone commented that what I stated, about just doing this in the database, is simply not true. Unless I misunderstood the statement, it most certainly is true.

I do however agree with the comments that it might not be easy for some, and that you could cause major issues by attempting to do it. As many have mentioned, there is a logical process that quite frankly, if you are not development savvy, you should best avoid unless you make good backups throughout your process. There is a lot to consider, especially if multiple devices are used, but if you can wrap your head around the processes, the changes can be made.

Of the many times I have complained about this and that, one feature that I do like is that Joplin uses a "usable" database. There are some softwares that use a flat H2 DB (or similar) that is not so easy to work with. The SQLite database does give some great control over data. While the interface in Joplin is not so comprehensive on management for the encryption, the database alterations should only be done by someone "qualified" to do so.

1 Like

Well, I got bit by this last night. I got word that my 2.5 year old cell phone would not be compatible once AT&T shuts down 3G Feb 2022. seems I own an odd international version of a Moto phone that is not quite compatible. So I bought a new android phone.

Yeesh, I hate getting a new phone. Google makes it fairly easy about keeping your contacts and apps and bringing them over but ever dang app has to be set back up again.

So in my flurry of setting up everything I had a total brain fart and screwed up and enabled E2EE before the notes and encryption key came across. Admittedly, this is only the third time I've set it up on a phone in 2 years. I knew instantly that I messed it up. So now I have 2 keys.

I managed to get them both working on all devices to get rid of the dreaded orange banner. But sheesh, it sure would be nice to be able to delete the spurious key.

Are there ANY plans on making this happen? I can take the route of starting all over and restoring from a JEX but I really don't want to if I can.

You can disable master keys in the latest prerelease

4 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Master key upgrade not working