Db version mismatch with latest available joplin downloads

Joplin Desktop: downloaded via Mac App Store: 2.11.11 (db version 43)
Joplin CLI: downloaded via Brew (but verified in the changelog as being the latest one available) 2.11.1 (db version 42)

I created a symlink from the joplin to the joplin-desktop directory, as I want to use the cli to update (actually data migration using a python script) and ran the joplin command, with following result:

Fatal error:
Error: Unknown profile version. Most likely this is an old version of Joplin, while the profile was created by a newer version. Please upgrade Joplin at https://joplinapp.org and try again.
Joplin version: 2.11.1
Profile version: 43
Expected version: 42
    at JoplinDatabase.<anonymous> (/opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:346:23)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:4:12)
    at JoplinDatabase.upgradeDatabase (/opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:328:16)
    at JoplinDatabase.<anonymous> (/opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:900:43)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at fulfilled (/opt/homebrew/Cellar/joplin-cli/2.11.1/libexec/lib/node_modules/joplin/node_modules/@joplin/lib/JoplinDatabase.js:5:58)
    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)

I saw that the latest cli was released end of June, any plans on updating the CLI as well to db version 43 soonish?

Thanks

bump. Maybe is there a better place to post this request?
Thanks.

We'll release it probably next month after the desktop one. But we don't really support this kind of workflow because you could end up with corrupted data if the two apps access the db at the same time.

For scripting it's better to use the desktop app data API or plugin API

They'll not be running/modifying the DB together, as it should be a one-off conversion.

The initial usage of the desktop version is just to fully initialise the DB.
Then the conversion can run via a pre-existing script via the cli version. And from that moment only the desktop version will be used.
So there shouldn't be db corruption.
But they need to use the same db version while doing the conversion!

Thanks.

Version 2.12 is now available for CLI so that should work with the database v42

thanks for the swift release. Now I just need to convince the homebrew developers to package 2.12 instead of the current 2.11.1

small update, the homebrew devs were very fast to respond on the packaging-up request of the newer version. I've installed it via homebrew and it works fine. Thanks again for the quick support.

2 Likes