Some suggestions for Contributing.md:
User Support section should add “problems with installation” to list of topics that go in the forums. It should also make it more clear that user support goes in the forums, bugs go in github (but I don’t know how to phrase that)
It needs something about “user support is handled by the community” and “you can help us by also helping users in the forums”.
Some rules that should be added, but don’t know how to phrase them:
- Try to limit issues reports to 1 single issue per post.
- Consider that enhancements should benefit a large portion of users (avoid suggesting features that only benefit your own weird specific workflow)
- Long lists of “suggestions to improve Joplin” should go in the forums first.
- Stay on topic (some issues start with one topic then the author starts reporting different issues)
Add a call for translators to keep translations up to date.
Add a list of 4 issues that you consider either easy for new users to start contributing, or essential for someone else to implement
Can you add some sort of priorities list like “In order of priority, we’re focusing on the following: sync issues, android, ui, etc, etc”. A roadmap is better but it seems you stopped doing that? A priority list informs users that their issue might not be implemented, and gives a starting point for those wanting to help.
- The placeholder text when reporting an issue should repeat this line at the top:
Please read the guide first! https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
A lot of people don’t read instructions anyway, but this might help a little if it’s the first thing they see.
- Alternatively, add a pinned post on github with title “PLEASE READ BEFORE REPORTING AN ISSUE” linking to the Contributing page.