Confused about encryption password

@boring10 @AlucardNoir Thanks for your responses!

What I actually did was stop synchronization of Joplin from my desktop computer, decrypt the files on my desktop, delete the app on my phone, reinstall the app, and set up my phone to synch with Dropbox again. Synchronization worked, but:

1. all of the notes are visible to me on my phone, they’re all unencrypted - I did not re-enter my password
  2. when I go into the Encryption Config section of the settings, it says that encryption is enabled
  3. the password field is empty and has a red X next to it

I’m not at home so I can’t check that Joplin on my computer is still set to be unencrypted, but I don’t see why that would have changed.

I’m tempted to just export all my notes and start a new Joplin account, first making sure I have a better understanding of how it all works.

So, to clarify: the password is used so that Joplin will user the master key to encrypt/unencrypt, but I don’t need to enter the master key myself at any point? Should I also record the master key somewhere secure i.e. a piece of paper in a hidden place? Or is it just necessary to know the password?

Thanks for any further explanation you can provide!