Clearing Dropbox storage

I was running out of space on my Dropbox, so I decided to erase some big notebooks I had and then synced it. But it, somehow, ended up running out of space instead. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I'm now trying to clear up space. I was thinking of deleting the files in the cloud and re-syncing it (I have a local backup if anything goes wrong).

However, I don't know which files are safe for me to erase and which ones would mess everything up. Or is it ok for me to delete everything in the Joplin folder in Dropbox?

I'm using Joplin 2.5.12 on Windows 10

Ideally you shouldn't need to touch the contents of the dropbox at all (in fact if you did I suspect you will end up activating the fail-safe (at best) where your clients think they need to sync the now empty target - with the effect of deleting everything)
One idea would be to lower or remove (if only temporarily) your note revisions which might be taking up room as those old notebooks may still be stored as revision data. If you remove the setting then the extra resources should get deleted on the target after a while.
Just please take backups of everything first just in case.

1 Like

Okay, firstly, thanks for saying that you have a backup :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Secondly, have you seen Tools > Note attachments? Might be the right tool for your case.

Lastly, if you have a lot of photos in your notes, you can reduce their quality/size. Here's a nice plugin helping to do just that

@Daeraxa The problem is that it seems like the sync fails as long as the storage is full. I have even deleted all the notebooks I had (I have various backups of it all) and it still fails. I know it wasn't ideal, but I erased everything in the .resources folder, and I'm currently still waiting for the Joplin client to finish syncing. Once it's done, and I load the backup, I guess I'll report back.

@graphit0 Thank you for the plugin! The notebooks I had originally deleted to save space had a lot of images, so this will be helpful in a similar future situation.

Something else that may work/may have worked is the Victor plugin to nuke everything and start over (although it might still require that small amount of space to be freed first). Then import a "good" JEX backup.

Thank you, I'll try the plugin if I ever need to do this again. I loaded the JEX and everything seems fine now.

1 Like

Somewhat related, but is there any such method for the android app? I tried syncing it, and it seemed to work fine, but I checked now and it still says that it's occupying almost 2 GB. But the Joplin folder in my Dropbox is not even half a GB.

Do you have note revisions turned on still?
There isn't a direct equivalent of that function, you would just have to uninstall it and sync from scratch once your desktop and sync target are how you want them if you wanted to start over.

I've had revisions off for a long time by now, I guess they never got erased. I'll probably file a bug about it then. And yes, everything is in working order now that I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.