Cannot install : Perl matching not supported

Hello,
i tried to install Joplin on my newly installed system, but get this message
Linux Installer and Updater
grep: Perl matching not supported in a --disable-perl-regexp build
i typed the wget command in app page, and i’m using Nutyx linux (based on linux from scratch).
what should be done?
thanks

Probably you’d need to fix the install script so that it works with your version of grep.

1 Like

Didn’t succeed in finding what’s wrong with grep. i have grep 3.4 on my laptop , and on my kdeNeon pc grep 3.1 which works fine.
So, I used the appimage which is currently working, and also tried the npm install with joplin-master from git after installing a lot of dependencies (rsync, node, yarn, …).
A method for other linux distros (except debian based, arch, fedora,) should be documented to avoid running into such issues.

perl matching is standard on almost any Linux system. Your distro decided to explicitly remove it:

grep: Perl matching not supported in a --disable-perl-regexp build

I really suggest to take this up with the package maintainer of grep.

2 Likes

I really suggest to take this up with the package maintainer of grep.

For sure, i'll do that. I'm new with this distro, (almost a week), so i'm discovering and i'm not disappointed for now, as it suits my old hardware better than others.
I was talking about the npm install, that should be better documented, as the readme recommends to install node10+ only, while it needs much more dependencies.

Node 10+ should be enough for the app itself. If the install script doesn’t work, maybe you can try the AppImage directly.

Yes, it surely work with any standard distro (worked for me on arch, kdeneon) but for minimalist ones, i ran into several error messages after npm install and had to check log, and install what’s missing.
As you said the appimage worked with no issue, (may be you should add a direct link to download it in home page ).