Copyright © 2016-2020 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.1.4 (prod, win32)
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: 9610b7e6 (master)

CodeMirror editor / Split view

Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004)

• Undertake a search using the search box on the main screen.
  • Select a note.
  • Try to edit it. As you try to edit (just typing a single character), the editor jumps to the top of the note position of the first hit.

also

• Cancel the search by pressing the "X" next to the search box.
  • The search box clears but the hits are still highlighted and the editor still jumps to the top of the note position of the first hit if you try to type anything.

also

• with the search still cancelled go to any other note
  • return to the previous note
  • the previous search hits are still highlighted and editing is still not possible.

So far I can only clear this by quitting and restarting Joplin.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Managed to reproduce this on a clean install of Joplin 1.1.4 portable in a Win10 x64 1909 VM.

GIF movie below. Slow text rendering is as a result of the VM not Joplin.

Getting the same with 1.1.4 AppImage and LinuxMint 20, so it appears to be a bug...

The second issue you listed (the search not being cleared) is address by this pull request.

Scrolling to the first match on every edit is definitely an annoying bug, I'll write up a patch for it asap.

1 Like

@CalebJohn

Thanks for replying.

As you are the CodeMirror guru :slight_smile: , I just noticed when looking at the gif (above) that the search now highlights hits in both the editor and the render pane. However only the first two are highlighted in the editor (an exact match and an "almost" match) whereas all hits are highlighted in the render pane. Is this right?

The pull request is live at !

Is this right?

No! That's a good catch. The intended behaviour is that if you only search for a single word then all words will be highlighted, but if you search for multiple keywords the only the first matches will be shown. It was done this way because unfortunately the codemirror highlighting is pretty slow, and since users can search for an arbitrary number of keywords it just seemed like a disaster. Unfortunately when the fuzzy search was added now all searches have more than 1 keyword, hence the above.

If you have a recommendation for what the expected behaviour should be I'm all ears. I'm not really sure and I'm inclined to leave it as is.

Hi, First of all I want to thank you for the great Joplin product. I use it now for some time on linux, android and window, and it works pretty well :slight_smile:

Since some time I was 'fighting' after some search action. I even was looking for a joplin replacement, but then I found this forum and this bug. So I hope it can be fixed. It is some frustrating when you searched a note, and you are typing at the bottom of it, the editor (code view) will jump to the searched item. Below the info of my Manjaro (Arch) joplin version

Joplin for Desktop

Copyright © 2016-2020 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.1.4 (prod, linux)

Client ID: 6cf2d6ec152e499d851ff23294f58bd7
Synchronisatieversie: 2
Profiel versie: 34
Ondersteunde Sleutelhanger: Nee

Revisie: f11b13a (master)

Regards, SjonnieCBR

@SjonnieCBR this will be fixed in the next realease. You can install the pre-release from GitHub now if you want the fix immediately.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I had to figure out how I got the pre-release, but I succeeded :slight_smile: Now running version 1.2.4 and with a pleasant search behavior. Great!
Regards, SjonnieCBR

1 Like