Backup Plugin

Is it the flatpak release? Because it looks like the app doesn't have access to its own cache directory.

Is the file /home/manu/.config/joplin-desktop/cache/io.github.jackgruber.backup/7zip-bin/linux/x64/7za available and can you execute it?

Yes ok that's it. I didn't have the rights. If I make this file executable, it works. I have an archive in the right place.

Is it a flatpack release, or was no execution permission on the file?

I work with Joplin 2.0.9 (AppImage). This is the file 7za that did not have execution permission.

Since the needed Joplin fix was faster than expected, I released another pre-release today, which includes encrypted backups.

:exclamation: For pre-release 1.0.0 at least Joplin 2.1.3 is required :exclamation:

2 Likes

v1.0.1 (2021-07-03)

I have released a new stable version which includes the pre-release changes from v0.9.0 and v1.0.0.
This release requires at least Joplin 2.1.3!

v1.0.0

• Add: Option for encrypted backups

v0.9.0

• Add: Relative path could be used for Backup Path
  • Fix: An error with Only on change, which was not working properly
  • Add: Option to create zip archive
  • Add: Option to specify the Backup set name if multiple backups are to be keep

:exclamation: Requires at least Joplin 2.1.3 :exclamation:

7 Likes

That’s great ! Thanks to you @JackGruber

Fantastic, thanks @JackGruber
I have one question, I edited the backup to {YYYY-MMDD-HHmm}, but all it does now is create a backed named... {YYYY-MMDD-HHmm} :smiley: What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Hi @Sophia use {YYYY}-{MMDD}-{HHmm}.
I'll see if I can improve the use of the variables a bit more.

1 Like

Oh duh, of course, that made perfect sense. Yeah perhaps a little usage guide and list of variables would be handy. Thanks again, this plug-in is a lifesaver!

https://momentjs.com/docs/#/displaying/format/

I have already prepared a patch that improves the token handlin and your example will then also work.

2 Likes

Thanks @JackGruber , I was stuck on the same problem as @Sophia, and find {YYYY}-{MM}-{DD}-{HH}:{mm} now works just as I want :slight_smile:

v1.0.2 (2021-07-19)

• Improved: Use of moments token
  • Fix: #16 Prevent multiple simultaneous backup runs
  • Add: #11 Make zip compression level selectable
  • Fix: Delete old backup set information, if the backup set no longer exists

@JackGruber

It seems that this is the only way I can give you anything!

:trophy:

Do you have any kind of "Buy me a coffee" link?

3 Likes

@dpoulton tanks, but I can not drink more coffee :smiley:
I do this with pleasure, you are also active in the forum to help others.
From there it's OK, I print the trophy and pin it on my desk :wink:

8 Likes

First off, thanks so much for this plugin. I'm sure I would be too lazy to make regular backups without it!

I have noticed that the plugin frequently forgets my backup path. I'm having a hard time pinning it to a specific event, but it does seem that the path was forgotten just now when I updated Joplin to 2.1.9. I was using your plugin version 1.0.1 and have just now updated to 1.0.2.

Any ideas? It seems to happen about once a month, although from now on I will be more diligent in seeing if I can find a trigger.

Joplin 2.1.9 (prod, win32)
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 39
Revision: 882d66383
Windows 10

Do you mean the entry under Tools > Options > Backup > Backup path is empty or a error with an empty path is reported?

1 Like

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't take a screen shot. I get an error message that says something about a problem with the backup path (sorry I can't remember the wording😞). Then when I go to the setting above the entry is blank.

Also to clarify is that usually it works fine. And when I put the path in again it works fine (for a while!)

Ok, set Logfile to Verbose and we will show what is in the logfile ~\joplin-desktop\cache\io.github.jackgruber.backup\activeBackup.log next time.