Automatically set focus to editor

When I select a note I want to be able to write it right away. How can I automatically set the focus from the note selection to the editor? Currently I always need an additional click on the editor which is not known from any other program and so unfamiliar in use.

I wouldn't say any other program. I just tried two other note apps, Zettlr does what you describe but Trilium doesn't.

You can set shortcuts to change the focus (default Ctrl + Shift + B for "Focus: Note body") or you can hit tab twice from a selected note (first focuses the title).

wouldn't say any other program

I didn't mean any other program, but those I know, like Visual Studio Code or Notepad++.

you can hit tab twice from a selected note (first focuses the title).

Doesn't seem to work, but if it was just in the title, it wouldn't be any help to me.
Is there a way to inject own Javascript for such?

It should work? If focus is on the note list then hitting tab should take you to the title field and tab again should take you to the note body?

Ah, you meant the tab key. I thought you meant the note selection as a tab. That would work, but it's still an additional action.

Auto focus would be the only solution for me.

The issue I see is that if the focus is on the notelist pane (either from clicking or shortcut) then I would expect focus to stay there - i.e. so I can still browse up and down the list with arrow keys

What I could imagine would be a nice improvement on those lines would be double clicking the note or hitting return on it to move the focus to the note body (the latter of which is actually how the terminal app works).

1 Like

I don't need to navigate with the arrow keys. So it's probably necessary to make it toggleable.
And yes, a double click would make it a bit faster.

Is there a way to inject own Javascript for such?

Feel free to open a feature request for it but I've not seen reference to people wanting this functionality so far.
As for Javascript, no you can't just inject it but you can do it via plugins, I wonder if one could be created to fire on note selection change and swap focus.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.