Any suggestions on what plugins could be created?

This is the only missing feature that is stopping me from migrating from Evernote to Joplin. I know that many Evernote users are looking for an alternative, and that the nearest is Joplin. This feature is heavily used by veteran Evernote users. I'm surprised at the lack of interest here.

This has been discussed and as I recall, @laurent said he's open to a PR for such a note list feature. Someone was working on this at one point but had to shelve it due to lack of time. My guess is Joplin will eventually have this, perhaps as a plugin.

If lack of a note list showing attributes is the only thing stopping you from moving from EN to Joplin, perhaps there are workarounds. I assume you're familiar with the View > Sort notes by menu option?

If you're only changing the note list view (from the common setting most users use of sort by last updated, reverse sort) for note maintenance, perhaps the menu option is sufficient.

The attributes for a note can be accessed by clicking on the little circled 'i' top right of note.

Another potential workaround is @JackGruber's Note Overview plugin. I use this if I want to clean up notes with large attachments I no longer need. You could use this plugin for other note maintenance tasks.

Ability to create and manage custom template variables would be excellent. If not entirely custom, even a few additions to the current selection like {{ Title }} or similar.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.
I tried the "Sort notes" option early on, but it's 3 selections away (slow access), and is short on options. Having the notes in a table format, in which my favourite columns are preconfigured, and then being able to simply click on any column to have it sorted (a 2nd click on the same column inverts the order), is a really powerful and fast feature.
Following your suggestion, I installed and tried out the "Note Overview" plugin, but I find it too rigid.
Will continue to wait.
Thanks for your advice.

If you have several routine maintenance processes, you could create a note overview note for each. Throw those notes into a separate folder, drop that folder into your Favorites panel, and that might be a reasonable workaround until Joplin gets a note list view with sortable attributes.

What about text snippets? This would allow some ideas above to be implemented by users (like a keyboard shortcut to strikethrough). There is this topic, but I am not sure what happened with the idea.

I really would like arbitrary code to be entered, because it would allow defining custom html code in the userstyle.css. I have no idea of how hard it would be (maybe it is really hard and that is why nobody did it!).

Maybe I am spending too much time using emacs and yasnippet.

Plugin idea: Adjustable text width for rendered notes.

1 Like

To add to this, I think a simple theme builder like Slack would be really nice.

Ideally it would also allow for basic changes like Condensed/Regular (line height), Max Width of editor (like @diibv mentioned), Header size difference (make each header x times larger than the next, and let the user slide to change X) with some preset themes for what you generally work on "journaling", "code notes / math", "night mode" etc.

As Laurent explained to me,

I am happy to create mockups for how this would work if anyone wants to collaborate on building it into a plugin.

5 Likes

I don't get it, doesn't the "all notes" button show this? And there are sort options, too.

I don't know if this would count as a plugin or a feature, but I would love the ability to change WYSIWYG fonts. The current font on Mac just seems weird.

I'd also like the ability to set a "default" folder for new notes, instead of always resorting to whatever folder I was in last.

2 Likes

Would be good to have a way to install syntax highlighting for languages that aren't supported out of the box. This is prompted by No code syntax highlighting for x86asm in editor · Issue #4417 · laurent22/joplin · GitHub

Maybe even have some sort of editor to define keywords/rules for highlighting like for instance Notepad++ has.

2 Likes

A meta plugin to check for and notify when plugins have updates. See Check for Plugin Updates - #3 by uxamanda

6 Likes

Incorporating the graphing tool charter would be incredible.

1 Like

Link title update feature / plugin

Would be good to have a way

• to update the titles of links in all linked notes if the tittle of the link source is changed
  • to indicate :x::link: broken internal links if the link source is deleted

Why

It helps to keep growing and evolving documentation: you might not need to worry about updating titles in one note and run around the backlinks to update the displayed title on other notes.

Example

Suppose you made a first draft of a note Favorite lunch, you link it to other notes. Then the note changed direction and you change the title to Sandwiches. Now everywhere else in the notebook it links to Sandwiches but title being displayed as Favorite lunch. And to change the title, you need painstakingly copy the updated title everywhere where it was linked before.

Demonstration

This demo shows my take how this feature might look like. Broken links are shown in the body and the title of a note.

I think this feature also might be great addition for some existing plugins (like Automatic backlinks/@ambrt , Quick Links Plugin/@roman_r_m , Rich Markdown/@CalebJohn) if the creator is interested.

Want this feature? - leave a :heart: to indicate its popularity

Any questions? text me :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Plugin to disable sync for folders possible?

A Tooltip Glossary plugin would be awesome. Whenever you mouseover a word that has a note linked to it (maybe the word is the title and the note has a a specific tag), its content (the definition) appears in a floating tooltip.

3 Likes

Two ideas for the RTF/WYSIWYG editor, not sure if either is possible though.

1. Add (dynamic) TOC support to the RTF editor
    As of now the the RTF editor converts the [toc] markdown keyword to a list of internal links. However, when changing, deleting or adding new headers, the list of links is not updated. The only workaround I found is to create a template consisting only of "[toc]" and manually inserting it at the top of the note (and deleting the "old" static list) whenever there are header changes. Maybe this process could be automated.

2. Add markdown syntax support to the RTF editor
    e.g. typing "- [some text]" triggers a bullet point formatting

1 Like

I really like this idea! I want to stop using PowerPoint so badly and MARP really looks nice!

They also have a VS Code extension, but I have no idea if that means anything w.r.t. the efforts of including it in Joplin.

We have outline pane, favourites pane and pinned notes pane. What about a "note view history pane"? Currently there is only the "back" and "forward" arrows in the tool-line as far as I see. The view history pane should list the recently viewed notes on the device.

3 Likes

Totaly agree with that :wink: