Android performance issues after importing notes from Evernote

I’ve been using Joplin for a few months now, and have really been pretty happy with it! I decided to take the next step this past weekend and start importing some of the notebooks from my Evernote to Joplin, mostly for archival/search purposes.

I did this with the desktop Joplin client, and didn’t really run into any issues with importing. After the desktop client finished syncing with nextcloud, I let the Android client sync those changes. After a few hundred notes, the android client started to almost be unusable. I’d click on the hamburger to slide open the notebook sidebar and it’d be 5-10 seconds before it would start sliding out, then would seem like it wouldn’t react to any of my clicks after that.

I thought maybe it was just an issue during the initial sync, so I let the android client finish syncing and have since rebooted the phone as well. It’s a little better, but is still incredibly slow compared to before I imported the new notes.

These are the sync stats from the desktop client:

Sync status (synced items / total items)

Note: 1443/1443
Folder: 37/37
Resource: 3058/3058
Tag: 369/369
NoteTag: 1555/1555
MasterKey: 0/0
Total: 6462/6462

These ~6k notes are around 750mb (according to the sync folder in nextcloud). Importing from evernote also brought along several hundred tags. I wasn’t using tags in Joplin before, but did have a lot in evernote. There’s no way afaict to hide the tags in the mobile client, so I’m not sure if hiding them would help speed up the mobile UI. It is a pain to have to scroll through the giant list of tags though.

Is there anything I can do to try and speed things up, or to debug why it’s so slow?

1 Like

I have similar amounts of items and sync stats:

Note: 1689/1689
Folder: 45/45
Resource: 4028/4028
Tag: 317/317
NoteTag: 1173/1173
MasterKey: 0/0
Total: 7252/7252

And I’m experiencing the same issues: hamburger menu is both slow to slide open and close; I have to wait several seconds after clicking a note for it to load; etc.

The desktop app (I’m on Ubuntu 18.10) works fantastically. However, my workflow is generally to create notes on my desktop, and reference them via my phone, which makes this an unwieldy situation. Any guidance would be useful; I’d be happy to create an issue and help test patches.

Is it any better with the version there? https://github.com/laurent22/joplin-android/releases

Yes, yes it is! Thanks, @laurent!

Awesome, thank you @laurent! It is much better for me as well!

The hamburger menu is occasionally still slow to slide open/close, but definitely usable now. Everything else loads just as quick as it did originally too.

Using Android app version 1.0.252.
With my size of notes (sqlite db on PC has above 75 MB) is very slow.
Opening a very short note (~20 lines) takes about 15-30 seconds.
Opening a longer note with some formatting takes even minutes. Sometimes I click to “return” arrow and next opening is done in seconds (but still seconds).

I have a phone with 8 cores (2GHz), 4GB RAM, internal storage used (no SD card).

Do you have an idea where it could be a bottleneck?

And, are the files (including sqlite) really located on my phone?
Trying to search for the data I couldn’t find them (not easy to hide .resource folder with about 1.5GB of images).
The folder Android/data/net/cozic/joplin/files is empty. Does it mean the Android app is accessing data directly from WebDAV?

Thanks.