Android app doesn't realize dropbox files have changed

Version: 1.0.21 (Mac), 1.0.324 (Android | Tablet), 1.0329 (Android | Phone)

I had to manually drag over a bunch of joplin md files to my Dropbox/Apps/Joplin. Effectively, I replaced everything in my Apps/Joplin folder with the updated files. My Android is hooked up to this Dropbox account, but when I hit sync, it just says ‘completed’, and nothing changes.

I can’t be absolutely 100% sure that this is the Dropbox account that I am expecting, but I believe it to be the case since that is the account that I am signed into on my Android phone. So far, I have not been able to find anywhere in the app where it tells me which Dropbox account is being used for the sync.

I have also tried uninstalling Joplin and reinstalling it, but it doesn’t fix the issue.

This is because Joplin relies on item_upated_time of a note (you can see it if you open .md file in any text editor) rather than file modification time to detect when a note has been updated.

1 Like

Is there any easy way to change this behaviour on a case-by-case basis. E.g perhaps a Joplin equivalent the “touch” unix command? (could optionally update to current time, or to the filesystem’s record of modified time

Looks like you can do it using REST API
There’s a method to update note properties and you can set updated_time to whatever you need.

1 Like

Interesting, I see a user_updated_time, but no item_updated_time. Nonetheless, how would I go about erasing everything off my Android device and just force pulling again from Dropbox? From what I understand none of the files are stored on the phone (as they are accessed via REST api). So how would I accomplish this task?

Reinstall the app or go to settings - apps - find joplin and clear storage

And btw the files are stored on the phone, just not somewhere you can easily access them. The ERST API is used download/upload the data.

Cool great to have the clarification. Thanks for your help @roman_r_m!