Home / GitHub Page

Alternative macOS icon?

Just been doing some tests for an alternative icon on macOS, because the current one looks a bit off compared to other icons.

So I’ve added a bit of white/gray gradient on the “J” and a white border, plus some subtle shadows. What do you think? Should we switch to this icon or keep the old one?

4 Likes

The removal of your tried and tested avatar initially made me think there was some kind of account impersonation going on…

2 Likes

Well I wanted to change my avatar but in the end I didn’t know what to put, so I’ve just removed it :grin:

FTFY

laurent

3 Likes

I prefer the existing one, I feel like the circle/gradient style feels a bit dated. I do think the corner radius on the existing icon is wrong and makes it seem a little off.
Here is my recommendation :

This matches the Finder icon radius, 40px at 822px (1024px with a transparent border).

After vs Before:

5 Likes

Just from looking at the screenshots I would say @uxamanda 's suggestion is rather clever. Just by altering the corner radius the Joplin icon keeps true to the main app icon yet looks perfectly at home on the dock.

1 Like

The avatar had so much personality in it that I honestly am finding the absence of it pretty unnerving…

1 Like

Yes that might be it, the existing corners are more iOS-style which is why it looks off on desktop. Let’s see what other users think, but I might change it to your icon suggestion then.

I see that most professionally designed icons have a subtle shadow on the central object so I might try to add one too.

Say the man with default gravatar icon :grin:

I was looking for a more subtle icon actually, since it shows up a bit everywhere, but yes didn’t know what to pick in the end.

Yeah, more apt I guess …

OH, THANKS! So my suggestion was not subtle and “corporate” enough? (… and possibly open to a few “copyright issues”) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done :slight_smile: And thanks @uxamanda for the suggestion!

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like